Carb idle help needed

sefus

I have a freshly rebuilt 1940 1bbl on my 200. Using a curved duraspark from Bill and msd box and coil, it starts and idles perfectly. The issue is I know diddily about carbs. As directed, I have 16-18 degrees timing, on a cold start it idles up just a little then settles down to about 1000 rpm idle once warmed up just a little. I’ve got the idle screw just about all the way out and that’s as low as I can get it to idle with that much initial timing. Then when I drive it for a bit and it’s good and warm, in park or neutral it idles up to about 2000rpm but in gear it’s down to that “normal” 1000rpm. So what am I looking at as the problem and solution?

Thanks experts!

You didn’t state what type of trans you have but 1000 rpm is a bit much on all but a full race car. Plus if you have an auto trans this could be hard on it. Try setting the carb to the lean best idle then reset the curb idle rpm. If the engine is stock or mildly built and with an auto trans it should idle down to around 600 to 650 rpm in gear (this will be about a 100 rpm more in neutral ie 700 to 750) make sure the parking brake is set and holds first. Good luck (y) :nod:

man: 550/600 RPM
ur auto: what he said

May B go back'n ck how the TV cable or kick down cable is on BOTH ends
too tight?

It is a c4 auto trans.

I havent pulled the plugs yet to see if its running too rich so maybe ill try that and start leaning it out to get that idle down first. Thanks fellas!

Back