Stock camshaft specs

65_Vomit_Comet

I pulled the stock cam from my 65 Comet and want to know the specs on it to compare with my new one. The only markings on the cam are FOMOCO and XNA. Anyone have the info on this cam?

Hi, what cam did you pick for the comet?
I hope you are going to degree it.
Good luck

"...did you pick..."
not 'picked' - stock, I think e sez - oem.
(C subject line above).

B Ron has a good point, even if simply replacing 'as was' dependin on yr it can B advanced for better performance.
&/or U can put in the pre-1970 (I believe is the cut off yr) timing set'n advance less. All add a lill pep beyond FoMoCo's initial.

W E L C O M E !!!
to the forum - best on the site!

All this info should B among those pages he refered U to or another reference many of us use "The Ford...6 cyl Performance Handbook" (which is avail frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com). I hada read both thru to even know what Qs to ask here, lol!

Cam i'm going to be using is a comp cams 65-235-4. Im also putting a shaved large log head from an '80 Fairmont with a Carter YF and a 2" exhaust manifold on there at the same time. Should improve performance noticeably.

then the cam card on that's what U need, not the stock, correct?

As U may C frm the tech archive or the Handbook the idea wuz low down grunt in 1st yrs, then a bit more toward cleaner burning in the late 60s - early 80s.
Selecting a modern grind (sooo different frm 40, 50 yrs ago) U can get just what U want for ur application (80% of driving use). Stay in Touch,
~Good Luck~

Hi, that is the same cam I just installed in my 200. Read the post on cam timing issues about how bad it was with the comp cams gear set. You will be way off if you don't degree your new cam. The dual roller gear set with index crank gear saved the day.
I also went with the comp cam springs.
Good luck

wrong thread
:oops:

Back