Preload for "used" lifters - head rebuild

Matthew68

Hi Folks,

I'm reinstalling my cylinder head and getting ready to button everything up. I current have a stock 68 200ci bottom end. Everything on the block is stock (pistons, crank, camshaft, all bearings, etc). I am not changing out the cam and lifters, as I'm sourcing a 250 block to rebuild in which I will do all that work then.

As I'm installing my adjustable 1.5 rockers, how much preload should I set since the lifters are "wet" or used? Most things I've read (including tech archive) mostly reference solid lifter, tearing down a hydraulic lifter, or brand new, dry hydraulic lifters. None of that applies to my scenario.

Get to zero lash - then what?

Cheers,
Matthew

Howdy Matt:

I've used both a 1/4 turn and 1/2 turn more for max performance pre-load on stock cam. Both worked. Adding a half turn more made me feel better about it. Good luck.

Adios, David

CZLN6":1aan0sxr said:
Howdy Matt:

I've used both a 1/4 turn and 1/2 turn more for max performance pre-load on stock cam. Both worked. Adding a half turn more made me feel better about it. Good luck.

Adios, David

Thanks for the reply, David. I'll go with 1/2 turn.

Cheers,
Matthew

Ford suggested valve lash for hydraulic lifters is 0.065" to 0.200". with lifter collapsed, measured from valve stem to rocker tip.

Back