67 mustang - 300 head vs 200 head

chad":gh0xg6m3 said:
Post #4 by chad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Gotta start @ the beginning:
"The Ford...6 Cyl Performance Handbook" frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com (20 $ ?) sounds like a resource U could really use. While waiting 4 delivery ck the above tech archive (@ big blue bx w/crossed screwdriver/wrench). All ur Qs should B answ there.
After gettin up to speed U will have more specific info on the end product U seek. UR Qs will B more specific/informed. We can B more of a resource 2 U. There R no short cuts to quality results.

Ford goes by 'families' not small block / big block like chebby.
The i6 family (1960 - '96) is bifurcated into 144, 170, 200, 250 as the small 6; and the big six 240 and 300.

Dawg the book is out of stock and i wont pay double the price to
Get it.

Curious what would happen if i just installed the head wothout milling it?

rocklord":2kh4xvnn said:
Yes and No.

Yes, the 80-84 200 head will bolt directly on your 67 engine, the 250 head will also.

The No side of the equation is the size of combustion chamber of both the 200 and 250 heads.

The original head on your 67 had a combustion chamber size around 53cc. Both the 250 head and later 200 heads had 62cc combustion chambers. Ford was able to keep the compression ratios (CR) high by varying the recess in the piston.

The chamber volume of any head you purchase will depend on how much has been milled off the mating surface. When you purchase another head, you will have to CC the combustion chamber to determine if it needs remilled, or if the pistons in your engine need smaller recesses.

Rick i need your help bro. What would happen if i dont mill it?

Can you text me that way i could just text you my few questions that way i can order the head today?

929 255 0197

thestang":sbw6uw7m said:
chad":sbw6uw7m said:
Post #4 by chad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Gotta start @ the beginning:
"The Ford...6 Cyl Performance Handbook" frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com (20 $ ?) sounds like a resource U could really use. While waiting 4 delivery ck the above tech archive (@ big blue bx w/crossed screwdriver/wrench). All ur Qs should B answ there.
After gettin up to speed U will have more specific info on the end product U seek. UR Qs will B more specific/informed. We can B more of a resource 2 U. There R no short cuts to quality results.

Ford goes by 'families' not small block / big block like chebby.
The i6 family (1960 - '96) is bifurcated into 144, 170, 200, 250 as the small 6; and the big six 240 and 300.

Get it.

Curious what would happen if i just installed the head wothout milling it?

You know, you could contact CZLN6, he's one of the authors of the Handbook. He might have one or two lying around to sell.

He's also posted several times to your thread. You might want to listen to him.

thestang":3jkpakae said:
rocklord":3jkpakae said:
Yes and No.

Yes, the 80-84 200 head will bolt directly on your 67 engine, the 250 head will also.

The No side of the equation is the size of combustion chamber of both the 200 and 250 heads.

The original head on your 67 had a combustion chamber size around 53cc. Both the 250 head and later 200 heads had 62cc combustion chambers. Ford was able to keep the compression ratios (CR) high by varying the recess in the piston.

The chamber volume of any head you purchase will depend on how much has been milled off the mating surface. When you purchase another head, you will have to CC the combustion chamber to determine if it needs remilled, or if the pistons in your engine need smaller recesses.

Rick i need your help bro. What would happen if i dont mill it?

Can you text me that way i could just text you my few questions that way i can order the head today?

929 255 0197

If you don't mill the head compression ratio will be a little less. Assuming that you 67 Mustang has the stock head with 51 to 53 CC chambers and pistions still it's compression Raito now would be 8.7 to 1 the late heads have 62 CC this is about 10 to 11 CC bigger combustion chambers add that too the new style head gaskets of .050 + compared to the stock steel shim head gaskets of .022 a rough guess is your compression will be in the 8.2 range fairly good for a Turbo or supercharger application. By the way I sent you a PM a long time ago on your questions. Good luck for n your build (y) :nod:

thestang":1qscrc7p said:
Get it.
Then there will B alot of 'teachin' done here. The book is worth 4X the price in my opinion.

They R being mailed frm supplier to retailer right now, sez Matt.
Y not speak to him (Matt) directly (post on VI site at "contact Us" rather than visit'n split)?
He's not some anonymous cypher caculatin away in cyber space, but a real human/member here like U'n I.

"... the book is out of stock..."
looks "In" to me now...

Back