Cooling system needs

falcon_master

Hi everyone, thanks for all your responses on the alternator questions I appreciate it. I called a few places and they said that a higher amp alternator is fine because even though it’s rated for 105 amps it won’t put out that much unless the load requires it. And so far 105 is the cheapest because it’s a bulk sale. But I did some math and found the basic amp usage of my car, the headlights are about 6 amps low beam, 8-9 amps hi beam, about another 4amps for taillights, so I have about 8 amps to play with after ignition system and instrument panel. But that’s off topic lol. My question today is my cooling system. Does anyone have experience on how well these things handle 90-110 degree weather In stop an go. It doesn’t have ac or power steering to out a load on it at idle. I’m thinking about putting a nice cheap 10 inch pusher fan or puller fan to make sure I have nice airflow all the time to help prevent overheating as on the freeway down there’s only one way to Phoenix and it gets backed up a lot. I don’t wanna overheat if I can help it. And I know the fan would be pushing my electric system but I wouldn’t use it unless I needed it, but if most people are ok in high temps I won’t worry about it. I imagine this 144 isn’t putting out to much heat lol.

You'd do better with a good fan shroud.

There's no room for an electric pull fan, and to fit a pusher fan you have to hack up the hood latch support brace.

frozenrabbit":3by4s4h3 said:

There's no room for an electric pull fan, and to fit a pusher fan you have to hack up the hood latch support brace.

Yup. :nod:

frozenrabbit":3rcr9qy2 said:
Some fairly competent engineers designed ur system to do that sorta driving.

However it's up to us to keep the system at it's optimal.

Make sure U have that shroud;
the fan blades spin 1/2 in & 1/2 out of it;
U done a good flush (that thing's been sittin so long make sure on this 1, inc. heater core);
have a new thermostat;
50/50% H2O'n antifrez/boil;
air purge @ fill (I use 1a the "tight fit funnels");
good belts'n hoses;
good cap & 'overflow' w/deep tube.

Ok thanks everyone, one thing I stupidly forgot to say is if I went with the puller fan option I would get rid of the mechanical fan but I think I’ll stick with what I got first lol

ele fan along w/remote H2O pump, ele fuel pump'n efi/turbo R all dwn the rd 4 U I'm sure...
8^0

I would measure how much clearance you have between the radiator and the latch support because i have about 2.75 inches and i put a 14 inch electric pusher fan on my car when I switched to a larger radiator so that is possible. if thats the route you want to go i would suggest checking measurements on everything first but i would agree that a shroud with mechanical fan would work better in this instance and would be cheaper for a temporary setup. Also a good coolant flush and new set of hoses and thermostat is realatively cheap about 40-50 bucks and will make a difference.

I have a AC fan with shroud. But, installed a small pusher that I grabbed from a Mazda 323 at my local junkyard. I have it hooked up to a derale temp. switch. So it comes on at a preset temp. But, it is also hooked up to a manual switch. So, I can turn it on if needed.

There is a company called FlowKooler? I think. They used to list part numbers for high flow water pumps for the 144/170/200. But that shroud with the ac mechanical fan would be a good way to go. Your radiator might need a visit to a good radiator shop for cleaning out.

I have the same setup that was mentioned earlier, the Ford A/C fan and Shroud and have not experiences any overheating issues. Ambient summer temperature in the Dallas area regularly passes 100 degrees.

I have had a different experience. I have a breathed on 200. I added a V8 style aluminum radiator and added an electric fan on the engine side. The fan I got was a SPAL unit I purchased from the Fan Man; I called them and they advised me to order an 2.05" thick SPAL unit that was only $60. It pulls 1300cfm, and has worked in hot LA traffic with my engine with no issues.

https://the-fan-man.com/product/16-spal ... -fan-s400/

For power I have a 94 amp 3g alternator that works the fan, electric power steering, electric fuel pump, Fitech, headlights, wipers, etc. with no issues.

Is your electric fan always on? Or do you have a sensor that turns it on at a specific temp?

Back