Perfection

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

Recently i realized i needed to change the front main seal and do some top end adjustment kind of stuff so heres the report:

•The 66' 200 did have adjustable rockers put on at some point so i didnt need to swap the 65' ones in. I set them all as Classic Inlines said.

•Tightened the head bolts. All the bolts were about a quarter turn loose, i torqued them all to 72 lbft as the shop manual said 70-75lbft in the correct sequence. As far as i can tell no more oil is seeping between the head and the block

•Tightened the rocker shaft, about 1/4 to 1/8 turn loose on all of them, put them up to 32 lbft as the shop manual says 30-35lbft.

•Wire brushed all the rust/old paint off the valve cover and painted it a lovely dark Ford blue. Tightened all valve cover bolts very carefully and so far no leaks. I've re-snugged them today, no leaks.

•Apparently all my plugs were loose, #1 i could turn by hand it was so loose. I retightened all of them and snugged them a little harder this time.

•Replaced the weber 32/36 gasket and snugged all the bolts.

•Did everything above between 2 and 9pm last night so i didnt have time to do the front main stuff. Will be doing that next week.

This almost puts me in tears how smooth it runs now. It was starting to vibrate real bad and bothered me but i figured its just and old engine that wasnt the best designed in the first place, i was wrong. I cant or cant hardly feel it in the car at all anymore. Its beautiful. It doesnt even start to shake a little after idling for awhile, it just keeps doing its thing.

Cant wait to start doing fun stuff to it like a 78'+ head with an autolite 2100 directly mounted to it and get a T5 with 4.11 rear gears.

Thanks guys!
Ryan
20180920_175702.jpg

Howdy Ryan:

That's a nice list of basic stuff/maintainance stuff. Way to dig in. It would make a good reference next time someone post a question about engine shake. Good job and great outcome. Also, nice job on the valve cover.

Adios, David

Sounds good, thnx 4 da update:
"...as Classic Inlines said..."
"...as the shop manual said..."

glad ur goin 'by the book' rather than just digin in. Once U get there we can help on
real Qs. You already C some really great results:
"...almost puts me in tears how smooth..."
More to come !

frozenrabbit":1waipdqb said:
I'd suggest a new timing chain as well while you have the front cover off.
Before i put the engine in the car i switched in the oil pump from my 65' since that pump was less than a year old. While in there i checked the timing chain and its like brand new. Super tight. The 65' one had some sag in it while this one didnt so im not worried about doing it. Otherwise i would

CZLN6":3dfhiurr said:
Howdy Ryan:

That's a nice list of basic stuff/maintainance stuff. Way to dig in. It would make a good reference next time someone post a question about engine shake. Good job and great outcome. Also, nice job on the valve cover.

Adios, David
I was thinking the same, which is why i posted this. My bet was the shaking mighta been the spark plugs being loose but im sure everything kinda helped.

chad":1r7b0s7r said:
Sounds good, thnx 4 da update:
"...as Classic Inlines said..."
"...as the shop manual said..."

glad ur goin 'by the book' rather than just digin in. Once U get there we can help on
real Qs. You already C some really great results:
"...almost puts me in tears how smooth..."
More to come !
Always best to do it as Ford did. I do the same with my Studebaker. Whenever i ask question on the stude forum, first thing they say is, did you check the shop manual? Haha. So I've finally started using it more

enuff knuckle bangin w/o head bangin too.
:nono:
I take sompin apart'n don't havea camera phone like some here use.
The exploded diagrams help a nubie (on some M/M/Y) like me clean out my tool cart
of all those disassembled prts onto the correct place in an unfamiliar vehicle or component I've not had apart recently.
:nod:

Back