DUI distributor install

OakR8ders12

Installing a new DUI distributor. Have great instructions to do so. However, have conflicting instructions on the vacuum setup. Should it run into the carb like my old distributor does? Or into the manifold? The pcv is already there. Thanks

In most cases the vacuum line should go to the carb ported vacuum port if it’s a non SCV carb. Good luck (y) :nod:

Hi, X2. What year? In '68 most of the Fords went to the modern distributor and ported vacuum.
Early Fords used a spark control valve, SCV, on the carb, and a Load-o-matic distributor.
You can learn about this, and much more in the tech arcive.
The older system and modern system don't mix.
Most guys use ported vacuum with the modern system, but some guys like direct manifold vacuum.
Ford used ported vacuum.
I don't think you need vacuum to the distributor at idle, that would give you advance in the distributor at idle, and advancing the timing raises the rpms.
Good luck

"...much more in the tech archive...."
that's above in the big blue box w/the crossed screwdriver'n wrench.
Click onit, scroll dwn to 'Ignition Sys' & hit 'DUI swap'
or go to the LOM/SCV topic
or anything else on there!

That'n "The Ford...Six Cyl Performance Handbook" R our two big resources/references.

W E L C O M E !!!
AND enjoy ur visit!
(y)

I know a few people have suggested to me to use manifold vacuum. But, I say try both. See which one runs better.

I had my recurved dizzy hooked up to manifold vacuum. With a gauge on it, the readings were all over the place and vacuum was around 8. I think. But, I switched to ported and the needle was finally stable. I think it is around 15 now.

A vacuum gauge and timing light are two great investments.

Well said Marco, whatever works.
Be advised your DUI does not have the correct calibrations for our sixes. It is one of those one size fits all.
You are loosing low & mid range HP & drive ability.
Or if you advance it to gain back your low & mid range you could cause damage to your engines, via cracked pistons caused by detonation.
With its two piece housing it produces oil starvation to the distributor shaft.
I have seen many of this design close to seizing.
Their distributors for anything but the Ford Small Six are a very good product. Bill

"... for anything but the Ford Small Six..."
my vote is for the straight DSII system
or
DSII with an HEI 4 pin in place of the ds box.

Chad you also should use a coil with low primary resistance. MSD Blaster 2 or 3. Pertronix also just came out with a low resistance primary winding coil. Lower than .5 ohms
The Ford TCI coil has the lowest resistance of all .3 ohms.

A little off topic. But, which Ford TFI Coil do you recommend? Straight Ford Part # or aftermarket?

65coupei6":17clxoo3 said:
A little off topic. But, which Ford TFI Coil do you recommend? Straight Ford Part # or aftermarket?
I do not know, i used an aftermarket MSD one when i had the DS11 & MSD-6al on my mustang.
Since i sell a lot of HEI's i installed one & so far has performed just like the DS11.

wsa111":2bdcnu6j said:
Chad you also should use a coil with low primary resistance. MSD Blaster 2 or 3. Pertronix also just came out with a low resistance primary winding coil. Lower than .5 ohms
The Ford TCI coil has the lowest resistance of all .3 ohms.
Yes, coil must match. I understand .5 up to 1.5 ohm.
MSD is a lill pricy 4 me.
TFI might B a lill less durable than others...
Good Luck, keep talkin!

Back