SAE paper on log intake geometry underneath the carb

gb500":8owd7j0z said:
well not the whole paper - not sure how to find that- but an excerpt from an 1972 SAE paper by AMC .
showing various combinations for the form of the entry to the log intake under the carb .
[hidden][/hidden]
http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/download ... &mode=view
if anyone knows the full paper....

I gotta say, I can't see that article. I don't do SpeedTalk much, not because it isn't excellent, (it really is good), but because my first few years as an Enginnering Technician were full of doing simple Fluid Engineering calculations with hot as hades Mechanical and Civil Engineering Grads or Hons students in the mining industry...that knocks the squeek off student getting away with a lot of the d :idea: c|< head BS statements that I see, especially the Can or Worms schtick. Not that I don't make plenty of the same mistakes and d :idea: c|< head BS statements. I learned more great pipe flow rules with Flow Net anaysis with a Water Engineer than anything I've done subsequent to my last year at Otago Polytech....we had Think Big projects, a High Dam just up the road, and all my classmates dads were drillers, or engineering labourers, or JetSprint Hamilton Jetboat builders, so if you started trundling out too much bs, you got both your hobnail boots arc welded to a piece of angle iron....

I saw what you referred to for five years from 1983 to 1988 in the Alexandra Public Library back home in Central Otago. I'll ask my Automotive Tutor and former Ford Service Tech Alan, he is still working as an Automotive Mechanic, and he taught me pretty much everything. I remember it as an AMC document, but there was extensive work on the a 4-bbl intake as well, dimensioned with EGT's and alternative runner designs, and it was good. And it wasn't SAE in the book I found it in.

The basic caboodle was the 232/258 in line six, dimensioned, with various carbs. Like this.

0900c1528004aec9.gif

Between 1983 and 1990, Murray Publishers, Argus, and then the geneisis of ACP Lifestyles like Van Wheels, and Street Machine (Tim Britten, irrc) were busy hanging out the "extremely dubious" 4-bbl intakes" Cain and Lynx made, but that AMC paper was pretty good, but they sure focused on the flow efficency variations with a 4bbl into six branch intake.

I reckon this is it : by AMC: but its only a link. so max internet points to you if you can find a full copy

https://saemobilus.sae.org/content/720214/

Design Refinement of Induction and Exhaust Systems Using Steady-State Flow Bench Techniques

American Motors Corp.-G. F. Leydorf, R. G. Minty, M. Fingeroot
Technical Paper
DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/720214
Published 1972-02-01 by SAE International in United States

shows an auxiliary plenum which attaches to the discharge flange of the main collector tank. The cover of the plenum mounts four or six dummy cylinders which serve each of the combustion chambers of the attached cylinder head. This arrangement permits simultaneous proportioned flow of air from more than one cylinder into an exhaust manifold, to study flow interactions between branches. illustrates a plastic-lined wood flow box of a V8 exhaust manifold, and ...of a V8 intake manifold...

Back