144 vs 200

falcon_master

Hey all. I’ve been doing some thinking and for now I’m definitely leaving the original 144 I’m there but eventually I want higher performance. I wanted to ask is it worth the stiffer crank, and shorter stroke to stick with the small displacement of the 144 and for that rareness factor because even in our ford six world people kinda turn there backs on the 144 or should I follow the pack and throw in a 7 main 200 but with a longer stroke just wanted to know your opinion. Thanks everyone

Hi,
FWIW, I drove a '61 Falcon with completely rebuilt 144 and 2 speed automatic trans.
S-L-O-W is what it was ! Could barely keep 45 mph uphill on the I-95 with two skinny bastards inside.
No harm in upgrading to a 200 and just place a 144 decal on the aircleaner, instant nostalgia.....
It was one of the smoothest running, fastest starting engines I ever had, I really could balance a nickle on edge on the aircleaner lid.
Hit the key and let go of it instantly and the car was running .
Something different about nowadays versus the early 1980's when I drove that car ,is that traffic is a LOT faster around you today and has much less mercy for older cars, at least on Long Island....
Keep em rolling !
DannyG

funny, got ur post msg in my in box: "144 vs 200 vs slant six"
but don't C it (even w/use of the search function).

R U thinkin of swapin out motors?
Collecting data/info is all ways good. Some of that data comes frm other folk, some frm ur own ("live in the vehicle') experience. This latter takes time behind the wheel driving in various conditions. Good luck w/ur real life experience.

Opinions:
* If thinkin of a 'slanty' swap: Some in the restoration (mod, restomod, & all it's variations) chringe at the thought of cross make combos. I'm one (che**y disc swap up frnt in a ford, che**y motor in a ford, etc) yet I am putting a Heep transmis in my bronk. Alot of folk ahead of me have gone thru this mod, it's a standard proceedure.
* I have had 2 170ci (1964 & '66) slant6 vehicles. I would not say a swap would B worth the effort. There is abt the same amount of support for each (U would have to start over in building ur network tho). But no real advantage. (BTW: I have seen no equilivant to the gains in the falcon motor w/the alu head in the slant6 community).

The slant six was a mistake, my friend who’s a molar nut was telling me to slant swap it and typed it in while I wasn’t looking lol. No I don’t want a slant six in my ford

Idk there is definitely room and no offense to us ford guys the slant six is superior of the 2, a "super six" as they were called was a 110 Net Hp 170 with a 2 barrel from the factory and without much effort those engines can make some serious power. There was a guy that had a 170 powering his bonniville car and did over 200 mph screaming at 7k. So they are no slouch, would definitely be an interesting swap for sure.

Ive always thought the slant 6 was sick. I wanted a Dart when i was looking for my first car but went with the 65 Ranchero. The 200 is a great direct drop in engine. Just make sure you get a 65-67 so you have the small bell bolt pattern (66-67 are dual drilled, big and small pattern). That way yoy can keep the tranny and clutch you have and make it one less expenditure. If you're looking for a big upgrade you can do the T5 too. Or put in a C4. The C4 may be an auto buts its one of the best autos ever made. Plus it allows the use of the small bell so you could technically buy it now and get it installed (but its not as simple as slapping it in. You'll need a new tranny cross member, torque converter, l6 bell if its a V8 one, flexplate, possibly a new starter, new radiator with cooling lines, vacuum line from engine, and a kick down on the carb also with a dashpot, and driveline modifying, and new column). Its not super difficult, its just a lot of parts but doable for a beginnerish person. The driveline mod is something a specialized driveline shop will do, cost me $140 for a shorten/balance/V8 yoke.

Good luck,
Ryan

Thanks everyone. I'll have to see what I can do find. I can always keep the original engine in the garage if I ever wanna take it back to it's birth engine. Well now y'all got me interested would a slant six be cool, or an insult to Ford and Mopar guys everywhere

Howdy All:

I thought the original question was 144 vs 200? Did I miss something?

IF you want hard core originality stay with the 144 and enjoy. If you want a little more power go with the a 200.

OR, you can always make a 200 look exactly like a 144 and have the best of both worlds.

Adios, David

CZLN6":33n0r2so said:
IF you want hard core originality stay with the 144 and enjoy. If you want a little more power go with the a 200.

OR, you can always make a 200 look exactly like a 144 and have the best of both worlds.

Where's my "LIKE" button?

Back