Clearance Problem with Oval Air Cleaner

HI everyone, I have a 1968 Mustang with a 200 and Autolite 1100. Recently I purchased an oval alloy air cleaner with the Autolite 1100 base plate from Vintage Inlines (link here: https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... ir-cleaner).

Unfortunately, when I installed it the air cleaner now sits about 2 inches higher than my old air cleaner and there isn't enough clearance for the hood to shut. Has anyone else purchased one of these or run into a similar problem? Will it sit lower with a 2V carb? Any other ideas to make this work? I was planning on using the new air cleaner with a matching valve cover I have that also has raised fins so I'd like to make this work somehow.

Picture of my current air cleaner (the hood shuts with this one installed):

20180909_164426.jpg

Picture of the new oval air cleaner (hood won't shut with this one):

20180909_165353.jpg

Too many adapter to use the oval cleaner.
If it mounts a 2bbl carb it would sit lower.

top looks nice but bottom needs 'adapting'.
The Autolite is 1a da lowest carbs (we - '60s/70s fords - have a low hood problem known around the industry) along w/the higher flowing RBS. A Mav 'drop base' can often solve problems. Not a pretty as urs. What duz the base plate of the oval look like?

Is was111 talkin bout a direct mount? Yes, that'll 'raise' ur hood!

If you want a short carb, i like the 50s Holley 1904 off of the 215 and 223 L6s. Yoy can even get a glass bowl for it to make it look sick, but you'll need a different adapter for the air cleaner, or make your own.

Good luck,
Ryan

Back