Oil Pressure

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

So recently after i tightened the head bolts, rocker arm shaft, and adjusted the rockers ive noticed higher oil pressure and that I'll get loud clatter up top after starting the car after it has sat for a little bit. At idle im running about 40psi, and idle is around 550-600rpm. That seems very high for oil pressure. Before i did this, it was 25psi and the clatter went away quicker. Sometimes i have no clatter issue now, sometimes i do. I notice it more when i go to drive at night.

Im guessing there was an oil passage in one of the bolts or one of the bolts are restricting oil. I tightened everything to spec as of the 1965 Ford Shop Manual, and detailed exactly what i did in the thread called "Perfection".

Help me out here guys.

Thanks,
Ryan

you'll C an "Oiling System" on p44 of Handbook. On pg 45 it shows a head bolt ('75 - '83) that hasa relief for passage of oil into the oil path.
Wondering if that'd help? I'd get onit quick if oil is restricted, glad U mentioned if.

chad":nkyi7n8v said:
you'll C an "Oiling System" on p44 of Handbook. On pg 45 it shows a head bolt ('75 - '83) that hasa relief for passage of oil into the oil path.
Wondering if that'd help? I'd get onit quick if oil is restricted, glad U mentioned if.
If theres a special head bolt from the 75+ 200s, can i just take that one bolt out and switxh it, or do i have to loosen all the head bolts?

what is it, #11?
Grind down the shoulder. This would B a simple check. May not B answer but quick easy 1st try effort

If that's the bolt I'm thinking of the one on the passenger side that the falcon handbook mentions that could be it but I don't see how tightening it to specs would cause a blockage of flow to the lifters and rockers. But I could be wrong. I would personally think maybe something wasn't out back right or there is an instruction in the system maybe like some junk or piece of gasket something. I mean this with all respect lol and im probably wrong. Dud you change the deck height or mill the head at all.

I am thinking that caked oil all along the bolt, except where the oil liked to flow got dislodged when turned and blocked flow.

So what would you all recommend i do short of pulling the head? It goes away when the car is fully hot, it just takes till then to go away.

I wouldnt mind pulling the bolt and replacing it with the later one for better oiling. But can i just pull that one bolt or will it damage the head pulling only 1 bolt? I'll pull the rocker assembly too to make sure its all clean.

Thanks guys,
Ryan

SD75,
Just pull the valve cover,rotate until there is no pressure on the springs on either side of the pedestal ,and pull the bolt.You shuldn't bend the rocker shaft or cause any damage if the pressure is off and if you don't try to run it.The shaft ought to take this minor abuse,they're not made from silly putty.this"special" bolt will have a shaft that is reduced above the threads and up to close to the head of the bolt.This is where the oil flows into the rocker shaft.
If poor maintance or cruddy oil with a lot of parrafins has caked up,a piece of it may have broken loose,clogging something.Try looking for oil flow coming out of the rockers when engine is running with the valve cover off.I cut the top off of a valve cover for this purpose.This didn't help the mess as much as I would like.it's still a mess.
Oil should come out of the rockers and some dribble off the bottom of the rocker at the shaft.But, yes,It sounds like something came loose and is causing a restriction.get some shop rags and start looking.Good hunting.

So apparently i cant just buy 1 bolt and i dont have $75 to buy the set. Can i take the bolt out and grind some of the top area out? Would it be risky reinstalling it?

that's what's been suggested.
Alternately, find a '75 - '83 head bolt for that location (#11) as documented in the literature (p44).

chad":bp427p20 said:
that's what's been suggested.
Alternately, find a '75 - '83 head bolt for that location (#11) as documented in the literature (p44).
Thanks man, just wanted to be sure. I doubled checked the performance manual. Thanks a lot. I'll let you all know how it goes

I wonder if a luckis product I saw could flush the gunk outta that motor.

I've put a lot of miles on a ground down oil passage head bolt.

Just stay out of the threads, and grind a flat on one side of the bolt shank until you have about a 1/4" wide flat.

I'd run a small diameter wire bottle brush in the oil passage hole also to clear out any gunk.

frozenrabbit":1nfzuq06 said:
I've put a lot of miles on a ground down oil passage head bolt.

Just stay out of the threads, and grind a flat on one side of the bolt shank until you have about a 1/4" wide flat.

I'd run a small diameter wire bottle brush in the oil passage hole also to clear out any gunk.
Ok ill give that a try! I have a few extra bolts to test it on.
How high up from where the thread ends should i go?

What weight of oil are you using and what brand oil filter? 40 psi is a good #, bearing clearances are good. Mine runs 45 psi once it warms up, starts around 55, on a fresh rebuild using 10w30. I've considered switching to 5w30 but I'm switching to synthetic next oil change and I'll see what that does to the pressure. If you are running a heavier weight oil like 15-40 or diesel type oil I'd say you should switch it to a lighter weight oil. Chevy engine, 25 psi is normal, Ford not so much.

Econoline":2jmgxcoe said:
What weight of oil are you using and what brand oil filter? 40 psi is a good #, bearing clearances are good. Mine runs 45 psi once it warms up, starts around 55, on a fresh rebuild using 10w30. I've considered switching to 5w30 but I'm switching to synthetic next oil change and I'll see what that does to the pressure. If you are running a heavier weight oil like 15-40 or diesel type oil I'd say you should switch it to a lighter weight oil. Chevy engine, 25 psi is normal, Ford not so much.

But the rockers are definitely not getting enough oil. Im using Rotella T4 10w-30. It is a diesel but its thinner than what Rotella usually does. It used to run about 30psi before i tightened it but the rocker noise went away much quicker than now and not nearly as loud. It has been fine with the Rotella for the past 1000 miles ive had it in for with no issues.

Im using a NAPA gold filter

I'm not saying you shouldn't try and fix that starved rocker issue. My 93 f150 300 used to do that. I always used wix or fram filters. I switched over to the motorcraft filter and it stopped. I would think that napa gold filter should be ok. I think it had something to do with the drainback valves in the others letting the filter empty everytime. I've heard my 250 in the van do that exactly once, it wasn't that long ago and I thought, ut oh, but it's never done it again. Other that the oil passage head bolt, you could look at the after rocker shaft bolt and make sure it is the correct thinned out shank type. If the head has adjustable rockers I'd check the preload on the pushrod/lifters as well.

I've got mine ground from the threads up to about 1/4" from the bolt head. '63 170 block and head, running 20w50 without issues.

I've got a '72 250 with the factory clearanced bolt, tapers down about 1/4' from head, then comes back to full diameter at the threads.

Could also reduce the diameter of a straight bolt on a lathe, I don't know the difference in the diameter, maybe 1/8" smaller diameter, not alot.

Econoline":2bixduzi said:
I'm not saying you shouldn't try and fix that starved rocker issue. My 93 f150 300 used to do that. I always used wix or fram filters. I switched over to the motorcraft filter and it stopped. I would think that napa gold filter should be ok. I think it had something to do with the drainback valves in the others letting the filter empty everytime. I've heard my 250 in the van do that exactly once, it wasn't that long ago and I thought, ut oh, but it's never done it again. Other that the oil passage head bolt, you could look at the after rocker shaft bolt and make sure it is the correct thinned out shank type. If the head has adjustable rockers I'd check the preload on the pushrod/lifters as well.
I was just in the top area. The rockers made noise before but i tjought that was due to them being loose, but i adjusted them and tightened the head bolts, which is why i believe it was the head bolt that did it. I plan on grinding it down a little and trying that. Hopefully itll be good

Back