Road draft tube lots of blow bye

falcon_master

hey everyone the 144 is running good right now but I noticed the road draft tube at idle is kinda puffing out some white/gray smoke is this ok. Also what oil pressure should I be looking for idling around 650-700 rpm thanks everyone

Howdy:

The answer to both questions is somewhat dependent on the condition of the engine. A new 144 or and engine in good condition should show about 30 lbs of oil pressure.

The road draft pipe is showing blow by that a product of heat from combustion and could include water from condensation, oil or contamination in the system. White/gray smoke would typically indicate water from condensation being steamed off depending on engine temperature.

Adios, David

falcon_master":rapgfnk9 said:
hey everyone the 144 is running good right now but I noticed the road draft tube at idle is kinda puffing out some white/gray smoke is this ok. Also what oil pressure should I be looking for idling around 650-700 rpm thanks everyone
Your idle is a little high. It should be 40ish around 550-600 rpm

"...I noticed the road draft tube..."
I've seen/commented on ur vids - now a Q.
Do U have any pic of the above?

Not necessarily blowin smoke, I just can't recall ever seeing this early 1st response to pollution.
CA was very early, I think '58 at CIT in Pasadena to use this as smog 'controls'. 1961 meant use of the "road draft tube" on all American cars.
May B it's just I saw it but didn't recognize it's function or name. W/o that there is nothing memorable for the mind to affix to.

Thanks,

:unsure: That is a VERY early version of the PCV system.Dates back to IIRC about the 1920`s or earlier.It vents crankcase pressure to the atmosphere to prevent gasket blow outs.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

"...vents crankcase pressure to the atmosphere to prevent gasket blow outs."
the very same!
Any pic of it on 'our' engines?

Very easy to convert to a pcv system, but the engine is probably already caked with sludge and grit b/c the lack of it. Have you ever had your valve cover off and had a look for crud? Oil pressure should be at least 30 psi

"...a VERY early version of the PCV system..."

...just 1 pic is all I ask...
I understand they stuck ouda da side'a da block?
Musta been the right/passenger's side?

62Cometman":2u4ris01 said:
Drivers side actually, let me see if i can dig up a picture of it on my block

Oh, yes, that would B real nice, thank you.

WoW, here's one now, frm another of our Membership!
Thank you sir.
Never saw the i6 with that large boss cast into the block up high like that (or anywhere else).
Nope, nevah!

Pretty interesting. Know when they stopped that?
So, 1961 - ? '63 or so?
The 1st yr of the i6 (1960) no draft tube?

(Jared - want me to get offa ur thread?)

Frozen beat me to it but here it is on my car from what i know up until they started using and actual PCV system all the small 6 blocks had these on them, so my guess is like 65-66? probably somewhere in that time range.

45617256801_6d9e42e159_z.jpg

chad":16j5y9bf said:
"...I noticed the road draft tube..."
I've seen/commented on ur vids - now a Q.
Do U have any pic of the above?

Not necessarily blowin smoke, I just can't recall ever seeing this early 1st response to pollution.
CA was very early, I think '58 at CIT in Pasadena to use this as smog 'controls'. 1961 meant use of the "road draft tube" on all American cars.
May B it's just I saw it but didn't recognize it's function or name. W/o that there is nothing memorable for the mind to affix to.

Thanks,

Ummm... the road draft tube dates back much, much earlier, and was actually the CAUSE of large amounts of air pollution. The time frame to which you refer is when California started requiring the road draft tubes to be PLUGGED and vented into the induction system, thereby burning the vapors, etc. A significant percentage of blowby gasses are gasoline vapors; burning them will actually increase economy while reducing smog.

I can just make yours out.
Looks closer to the head & a lill more squared off frm that angle.
My understanding wuz the PVC phased in around '61 and by law nationally in '67...
I see the RDT thru out those yrs. Can't recall them in mid'n late 60s myself...
Early PCVs I do recall very well...

Joe - ever C the lill valve they retro fitted into the frnt driver's side of those Cal blocks?
"..to be PLUGGED..."
attempts to go round it due to blow by. Illegal too.

Thanks 2 you three !!!

Some of those early "Band-Aid" attempts at Positive Crankcase Ventilation were none too good on a fresh engine, and were woefully inadequate when there was excessive blowby, hence the bad reputation of PCV in the early days.

Getting those nasty vapors out of the crankcase is a major factor in the longevity of modern engines.

"...the lill valve they retro fitted..."
pretty much ruined a motor.

Anyway...
today I try to create the "closed pcv system" for our ol i6s.

Back