Horn, Deceleration, Alternator Light. Any connection?

65 Mustang

Hello All,

Was driving my '65 Mustang on the highway the other day. When I pushed my horn, the car rapidly decelerated (as if it were braking). I quickly released horn and car sped back up. I drove it for another 1/2 hour back home. When I got to a traffic light near home and stopped, the car started shaking as if it was about to stall out. I shifted into neutral which caused the rpm's to increase and prevented the stall. This occurred for a few more traffic lights before I was able to get it into my driveway. I turned the car off. When I started it again a few hours later, the alternator light came on. The car was shaking again and about to stall out. Has anyone heard of anything similar to this? Could pressing the horn have possibly caused a short? Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes I have .... In The Movie " Christine " . You might need a Preist to extorsize your car ! All kidding a-side that is very strange. Do you have Electronic Ignition, Electric Choke , ect ? Did you do any recent work on your Stang before the trouble started ?

Haha! It may. Yes, I do have both electronic ignition (Pertronix) and an electric choke. Do you think there might be a connection? No major work has been done on the car in a while. Thanks.

I would try my best too inspect the wiring behind the dash , the fuse box , and the engine bay .

X2 Yes sounds like a wiring short or the Horn Relay or a horn maybe bad, start testing. Check battery voltage both with using the horn and also with out. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back