Opportunity to get a 69' 200 head

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

So i was at the auto wreckers the other day and saw a 62 econoline. Of course i check it out hoping it had a 200 in and and what do i know? There one is! But its a 69'. Ive been planning on trying to get ahold of a 78'+ head but I've yet to find one.
Im not in a rush to get the head but im debating if i should get it since its definitely larger than the 66' i currently have. I planned to have the center hogged out for a direct autolite 2100 and get an adapter to i can run my weber 32/36 too. Future plans include installing my headers, adding a T5, and either 3.8 or 4.11 rear gears depending on what 5th in the T5 is, and 1.6 rockers.

I already have a 32/36 with HEI.

Is it worth getting the 69', or am I better off to hold out for a 78'+?

Thanks,
Ryan

65 Ranchero
66' 200

+/- to the '69 v '77+. The '69 is THE head for direct mount to me, yet does not have volumn or lrger valves of the '77 +.

I think they wanted $75 or $100. I forget. This was a couple of weeks ago.

I know i can install the larger valves to the 69' but the intake volume is a hair smaller. Is it worth it for that price? I could probably haggle a little lower

"...... intake volume is a hair smaller..."
more compression!

Econoline":39oh5wdf said:
What yard? How's the van look?
The van is all there. Looks not too bad, like it could start with and drive away with a little work. Its 3 on the tree and is full of all sorts of parts on the inside. Its a yard up here near Seattle. Ill tell you the exact yard when i decide what to do :LOL: ;)

chad":27jtlfqu said:
"...... intake volume is a hair smaller..."
more compression!
I thought that smaller combustion chamber meant more compression, not intake volume

"... smaller combustion chamber..."
o0OPPp, I stand corrected. Lrger log volumn = more air
"the automotive engine is an air pump", sorry.
Late @ nite up is dwn & dwn is up 4 me...

Howdy All:

I'm not sure I followed all that, but FYI, the '69 "M" casting has 62 cc combustion chambers, same a '77 and later head casting. Other '69 castings and earlier heads have a 52 cc chambers. The '69 "M" head would have lower compression than your '66 head. It could and should be milled to regain stock or higher compression ratio.

IIWIYS, I'd keep looking for a '78 and later head. I don't know what your goal is, but hardened valve seats and more intake tract volume is worth a little patience.

Adios, David

Back