Holley 5200

Blairsville Ed

Famous Member
I usually post on the big block side but there is more info on the Holley 5200 on this side.
I have a 1968 F100, 240, 3 on the tree
I just finished putting a Holley 5200 on it. It’s a R 6659-1, 50 idle jet both sides, 40 main jet, 32 secondary main, 195 primary air bleed, 170 secondary air bleed
I did a thorough cleaning and rebuild but it would not idle without turning the idle speed screw way in. I then removed the primary idle jet and put the cover screw back in. That fixed it! I have the idle speed screw set to 1 turn in after it contacts the linkage and the idle mix screw at 1-3/4 turns out. It idles perfectly. Today I took the carb off and checked the passageways to make sure that everything was clean. I then installed a 65 idle jet. Same problem. It would not idle unless I removed the idle jet.

there seems to be 3 variations on the carb - yours ie "the pinto", a Holley/Weber and a Webber.
They flow frm 235 to near 300 CFM depending.

70/7..ford 28mm primary & 27 mm 2ndary..270 cmf;
78 up ford 23mm prim.....& 27......2nd.....235 cfm;
'79 up GM 23mm prim.....& 29......2nd.....245 cfm.
(hope the formatting stays)

Like I said on ur last post re: this Q...U may do better on the 'big 6' forum due to their knowledge on motor needs.
I just wrked on 1 in a 4L heep'n the fella's 1st mechanic tied the linkage together so both v came on all the time.
Only re-jetted the above, not the other 2 (half). He's happy w/it but to me it's still off (stinks, slight smoke) a bogg.

Back