144 tune help and poll

Original 144 (underdog) or 200 (performance)

• Original 144 hard workhorse over at least 122K mikes maybe even 222K she still purrs like a kitten

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Used 200 for easier upgrades more part available and seven main bearings and increased performance

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

falcon_master

Hey everyone hope your all doing well. Been very busy lately lots of homework and exams. Had some free time so thought I’d get a good list for how to tune this old girl. I just wanna make her make as much HP as possible and see if I am happy with the 144. I was thinking in this order

1. Set idle to about 600 rpm (by ear don’t have tach)
2. Set ign. Timing to about 10 degrees without vacuum advance
3. Check plugs possibly gap to .40 because I have pertronix
4. See if I can find a vacuum gauge and tune the mixture
5. Hose the 1” thick layer of grease and oil sludge off the motor so it looks somewhat decent and can cool better because grease is a insulator (kinda)

How’s this sound everyone. And as for my transmission idk if I need bearings or not same goes for the clutch. I guess I’ll just have to disassemble and see. I’m trying to save up some cash for performance upgrades later on. Still not sure if I’m going to stick with the 144 because it’s just SO weak and small even with a lot of money a 200 will outrun it. But I’m not sure I like the rarity of the 144 but I think I’ll probably keep the 144 in the garage and use a 200 and later in a couple years when I feel nostalgic about it I’ll chuck the 144 back in ha.

I’m going to have some fun and add a poll option. See what you all think lol

falcon_master":1ookwgc0 said:
Hey everyone hope your all doing well. Been very busy lately lots of homework and exams. Had some free time so thought I’d get a good list for how to tune this old girl. I just wanna make her make as much HP as possible and see if I am happy with the 144. I was thinking in this order

5. Hose the 1” thick layer of grease and oil sludge off the motor so it looks somewhat decent and can cool better because grease is a insulator (kinda)

How’s this sound everyone. And as for my transmission idk if I need bearings or not same goes for the clutch. I guess I’ll just have to disassemble and see. I’m trying to save up some cash for performance upgrades later on. Still not sure if I’m going to stick with the 144 because it’s just SO weak and small even with a lot of money a 200 will outrun it. But I’m not sure I like the rarity of the 144 but I think I’ll probably keep the 144 in the garage and use a 200 and later in a couple years when I feel nostalgic about it I’ll chuck the 144 back in ha.

Honestly just drive it till something serious happens with the 144. You can get a 200 and put nice stuff on it in the garage and then one day when youre ready, switch it in.
Enjoy you're 25+ miles a gallon. Use that to save some money.

falcon_master":2wd5icd7 said:

Honestly just drive it till something serious happens with the 144. You can get a 200 and put nice stuff on it in the garage and then one day when youre ready, switch it in.

StarDiero75":37u3qct0 said:
falcon_master":37u3qct0 said:

+1

Howdy F-M and all:

Glad to hear that you are getting down to the basics. IIWIYS, I'd move number 4 up to number 1 and move number 5 up to number 2. Setting the low speed air screw and initial timing by ear or feel or whatever is, at best, a shot in the dark. An experienced mechanic can likely get both close by ear and feel but for a beginner at tuning not so much.

Gapping your spark plugs is basic maintainance and doesn't need to be on any list. Before regapping the spark plugs to .040" assess their condition and age. What were they gapped at? Then clean thoroughly, gap and install. Also regularly spray the inside and outside of your carb with carb cleaner.

Also cleaning the outside of the engine should be done immediately.

Acquiring a timing light and vacuum gauge should be a high priority. They will be invaluable tools, both now and in the future. A dial-back-to-zero timing light can be acquired at Sears for around $50 and can be purchased on time. A good vacuum gauge should cost no more than $20.

That's my 2 cents, for what it is worth. Good luck and keep it coming.

Adios, David

There's my bud.
Seems like U got it home.
I like the idea of gettin it right, drivin awhile 2 assess 4 changes'n savin $.

MY suggestion is find the stickie bubs put out a yr or less ago. It takes tuning frm the very 1st step thru carb/plugs/dizzy to the end AND In The Right Order too. In several hrs U should have hit all the lows'n highs inc. test drive & read the plugs.
After completed & driven a few wks U can answ ur own poll.

(hint again: seen the 1.4 turbos?)
I know, entirely different motors, but...

Back