Weber 32/36

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

So recently I've been screwing with my weber 32/36 on my pretty much stock 66' 200. I've noticed my air mix screw is about 3 turns out, when it should be in the range of 1-2 turns right? So that means my main jet would be lean right? If thats the case that explains why the car is a heck of a lot peppier when the choke is closed than when open. And why i csnt run my timing past 12 BTDC without pinging.

Would you all say i need to go up 1 or 2 sizes on the main jet? Would i have to increase all my jet sizes too? I've never done jets before other than being told exactly what i need to do. Whats a good rule of jet size increase per extra mixture screw turns?

Thanks guys,
Ryan

rbohm":v2gqpasw said:
actually the weber has an idle jet, and its that jet that needs to be larger.
You're right, i did some reading on redline's site a friend of mine recommended.
So how much larger would you increase the idle jet if the mixture screw is currently around 3 turns out? I currently have a 60 in it now

So to update:

I went up to a 65 jet as Pegasus only sold jets by 5s. I was able to bump up my timing from 12 BTDC to 14, and got the idle down smoothly to around 450.

Synopsis:
The car no longer has a weird gas smell, im assuming that meant it was running lean. The car idles smoother and no more hesitation. Finally, i can peel the tires around corners with a 2.8 rear end and a 3.03 3 speed. I cant stop grinning being able to do that. STRAIGHT 6 POWER! Cant wait to see how it does once i get my dual out VI headers on.

Thanks guys,
Ryan

"...assuming that meant it was running lean."
2 me that means opposite - ie can't burn all it's fed = Y U smell it.

Might B odd but now I'm an antique myself I'm sensitive to it, been breathin it so long it's over amped my immune system,
when rich like that I smell it in the exhaust as well as "as it goes it". Just a lil more "raw" on the way in. Gotta use 'eyes' too on way out. I gotta white 20 ft garage door (by 30 hi, but hight don't count in this) I can C it on, even if a slight billow...

At any rate seems U got it now !
U go boy!

"...once i get my dual out VI headers on."
5 - 10% improvement. But that's how U 'get there' - hundreds of these lill additions.

BTW: did U like my 2 ideas on 'swap ele choke to stator lug of alternator' & 'move PVC to rear VC hole'...?

chad":2kup5icx said:
5 - 10% improvement. But that's how U 'get there' - hundreds of these lill additions.

BTW: did U like my 2 ideas on 'swap ele choke to stator lug of alternator' & 'move PVC to rear VC hole'...?
I can't exactly put on my headers anyway since one of the flanges for the exhaust busted off and i have a J bolt holding 1 part of the manifold on. Thats why im looking for a 78'+ head so i can just drop that on and do my header stuff then. I think currently i do have a slight exhaust leak due to that broken piece.

I actually do have my electric choke hooked up to that spit on the alternator. It works great.
My PVC only fits for the rear piece currently but i still get oil coming out of the dipstick area. Is there supposed to be some sort of gasket or is it just the metal dipstick?

OK, just remember a pic w/ the wire goin back, back, way back....
(I threw a lill inline fuse in the middle, but not necessary)
This is ur thread, I feel OK goin onto other issues

On the PVC - I saw it in the frnt I thought. "Now how easy will it B 4 him to top off the crankcase when down a 1/2 Qt?"
U say it IS on the back now, Cool. But the oil dip stick is spittin oil? 2 me that means ya gotta a clog (or WAY over filled)
2 answ ur Q, no, no rubber grommet or anything B sides the lill tin cap on the grab end (fits over the tube the stick's in) that slides dwn
on the top of the tube when pushed home like a lill cap. Some fall off. Would like a rubber stopper style myself, tho.

Did the top end lube issue clear up? (I think that wuz U).

Would U wanna have a 'closed PVC system' by attachin that frnt VC hole upta the air cleaner? (as in oem) I think 1st U may wanna find out Y the dip stick is 'spittin'. Is it a dribble?, does it come out in a spray? is it pumpin like the revolutions of the pistons?

StarDiero75":2bev4nxv said:
chad":2bev4nxv said:

I can't exactly put on my headers anyway since one of the flanges for the exhaust busted off and i have a J bolt holding 1 part of the manifold on. Thats why im looking for a 78'+ head so i can just drop that on and do my header stuff then. I think currently i do have a slight exhaust leak due to that broken piece.

I actually do have my electric choke hooked up to that spit on the alternator. It works great.
My PVC only fits for the rear piece currently but i still get oil coming out of the dipstick area. Is there supposed to be some sort of gasket or is it just the metal dipstick?
Clean the oil off of the pan and see where it’s actually coming from. Chances are it’s coming from behind the old cork gasket between the plate riveted onto the pan and the pan, not the actual dipstick. I pulled my pan ground the rivets off and had the dipstick welded to the pan so it couldn’t leak

ledslinger29":2nge64wr said:
StarDiero75":2nge64wr said:
chad":2nge64wr said:

Clean the oil off of the pan and see where it’s actually coming from. Chances are it’s coming from behind the old cork gasket between the plate riveted onto the pan and the pan, not the actual dipstick. I pulled my pan ground the rivets off and had the dipstick welded to the pan so it couldn’t leak
Its def not the oil pan. My oil pan is so clean you can eat off it. It gathers in the motor mount. Its going up the tube and hits the top of the dipstick and comes down. I wish it was that simple. Both 200s ive had do the same thing.

chad":3b269c7v said:
OK, just remember a pic w/ the wire goin back, back, way back....
(I threw a lill inline fuse in the middle, but not necessary)
This is ur thread, I feel OK goin onto other issues

On the PVC - I saw it in the frnt I thought. "Now how easy will it B 4 him to top off the crankcase when down a 1/2 Qt?"
U say it IS on the back now, Cool. But the oil dip stick is spittin oil? 2 me that means ya gotta a clog (or WAY over filled)
2 answ ur Q, no, no rubber grommet or anything B sides the lill tin cap on the grab end (fits over the tube the stick's in) that slides dwn
on the top of the tube when pushed home like a lill cap. Some fall off. Would like a rubber stopper style myself, tho.

Did the top end lube issue clear up? (I think that wuz U).

Would U wanna have a 'closed PVC system' by attachin that frnt VC hole upta the air cleaner? (as in oem) I think 1st U may wanna find out Y the dip stick is 'spittin'. Is it a dribble?, does it come out in a spray? is it pumpin like the revolutions of the pistons?
I got a different VC on it know, which is why its in tge back. I like being able to fill the oil from the front, much easier.
Also yes the top end lube problem was never a problem. My water pump bearing made a very rocker like noise. It does flow very nicely especially with the grinded bold.

So i have no idea how it spits it out, ive never been able to catch it. Its not a lot and comes out sporadically. I definitely see it after highway travel but not so much after city driving. I changed the PVC to a NOS one from 68' since the new one made the car run funny and still didnt stop the oil coming out. Also it doesnt seem to change with oil level. I put in approx 4.5 quarts of oil at every oil change and it always does it. It makes literally no sense

the reason I asked re the top end lube is the PVC system is an 'air' controller. If there's an oil circulating prob U can sometimes C it in the in the PVC system. Put on the wrong pvc or rout the lines wrong & U can get something like blow by )oil comin out the wrong places).
Anyway, if it's commin out the tube the dipstick's in (up top near where U place ur hand to pull/ck CC oil level) that needs addressing.

If it's down below where bronk guy abv sez I think Leo (woodbutcher) hada good solution redo so as to lock it up tight.

If it's abv (as I 1st mention) start nother thread. I believe U gotta 'clog'.
Back later - let us know...

Back