Cam for 200 I6

To get a cam recommendation we need to know your engine specs, engine driven accessories, transmission, gears, intended use.

Is there a reason you want a solid lifter cam?

Many people tend to over cam, thinking a big cam makes more hp. Its all about choosing components that work together not against each other.

That is a hot cam.
You'd never get enough air\fuel in there to make use of it's range of 2500-6300rpm.
Looks like a race cam. It would be tough to tune to drive around at normal rpms.

I'm running a Clay Smith 264/274/112 with C4 automatic and a ported head.

OP the others are right, unless you are building a race motor that will be turning 7000+ rpm, the cam you linked to is far too much for your motor.

when selecting a cam, first decide what rpm range your engine is going to spend 80% of its time in. for the street that means 1000-4500 rpm. you then select a cam that works best in that rpm range.

and pick a few cams that operate in the rpm range. after that you can decide what cam to run based on cam specs.

but also remember that it isnt just the cam when building a motor, but the whole motor you have to take into account. for a strong solid motor that does what you want it to do means taking a systems approach to the build. cam, head, intake, exhaust, compression ratio, etc. all have to be part of the calculation for best results.

That's just a little baby cam, I would run it in a street car, you will need cylinder head work and compression to make it work. If using an automatic tranny, you would need a 3,000 rpm stall also.

Call Jerry at Schneider cams. He is very knowledgeable with the small Ford Six.

Back