Stalling out in gear

61comet4R7

1968 200 mild cam, DUI dist, Weber with new inserts, C4 stock torque converter.

I’m thinking at this point after reading all posts on this subject (checked for vac leaks, new shift module, plenty of vac on dist to carb), that my timing must be off. Oh yeah 1981-3 log
So builder said set time at 18 degrees but I might have mis-heard? Just increase idle seems wrong if when it’s really revving in Park

You're right to suspect an ignition problem, that's a good place to start once you set a baseline with the timing and carb. Has the engine ever run right with this carb, has it been tuned previously to the engine, i.e. jets, tubes ect? What are the specs of the cam that's installed? The engine should idle at 550-650 in park. If the initial timing is set to 18* now, try setting it to 12*, then re-adjust the carb to get it to idle @ 550-650 in park.

We need specs on camshaft.
18 degrees initial with the DUI which has the wrong total advance total could destroy your engine.
You have close to 42 degrees total advance which is too much.
Depending on camshaft specs you may have to have a curb idle closer to 900 in park.
You may have to install a looser converter depending on your cam specs.
You may need help from other forum members on your Weber.
I just do Holleys & Autolites.

ok thanks! I'll get the specs on cam tonite and let you all know what I found.
I didn't set it at 18 because it sounded weird but at around 12-14 where it runs fine, no ping.
I set weber up according to tech page here with idle inserts as recommended.
thank you all for feedback

IMG_6143.JPGIMG_6142.JPG

chrome won't getcha home :banghead:

A lot depends on your camshaft specs. You need to get your DUI recurved anyway.
The $$$ you spent you could have a curved DS11 + coil & module.
My HEI's go for $225.00 recurved for your application.
Lets see what you have for a camshaft then we can go from there. Bill

Back