engine performance manual fordsix

matanobs

good evening I am new in this forum I have had the opportunity to see what they have achieved and I find a lot of information amazing and very good community, I have 3 engines of 6 online two 200 and one 250 and I would like to improve them I want to enter this world of these engines since I like them a lot I would like to be told tips on how to improve the performance learn to identify them also since I read in some post that there were several years and models that are better than others also that some brought delay in the synchronization and other things that reduced performance such as the exhaust manifold etc ... so I would like a manual of those to improve engines that specialize in these engines since I have not found one that serves me I would like to participate more and learn more about this photo and share my experiences and you with me ... :nod: :thanks:

Welcome aboard. There is a wealth of information on this forum.
Check out the tech section.
Look at the old classic inlines section.
I would advise get the Ford Six Performance Manual. Matt sells them at vintageinlines.com
I can help you with distributor mods & improvements. Bill

Howdy Matanobs:

And also welcome to THe Forum. Yes, it is that good.

I'd sure like to hear about your engines and your vehicles. Have you done any modifications or improvements yet? What are your goals for your engines.

Again, welcome and keep the info coming.

Adios, David

Good evening first of all I thank you for answering me so fast .. and I'm honest I'm from Venezuela it takes a bit to understand the page since everything is in English and I have to translate to understand .. here in my country there are no mechanics or workshops that know how to work well these engines or people with knowledge as what I have seen in this group so I would greatly appreciate if someone helps me in these issues and doubts that I have to learn and improve these engines ... I appreciate any advice or help can give me I'm interested more than everything knowing that year is my stock or head and how to make minimal improvements for now to improve performance I hope you understand me and is explaining well

CZLN6":9m5jc3qs said:
Howdy Matanobs:

And also welcome to THe Forum. Yes, it is that good.

I'd sure like to hear about your engines and your vehicles. Have you done any modifications or improvements yet? What are your goals for your engines.

Again, welcome and keep the info coming.

Adios, David

thank you for responding also and the truth is that I am young and I have just 2 years with cars and I always liked the mechanics and more these engines ... the truth has only improved things simple as best carburetor implant one of a ford 300 so it is known here I do not know its technical name I hope you understand me .. I also improve the spark plugs for a bosh platinum and dry coil that improves its spark ... but now that I disarm it to clean the engine and change the packages I would like to know if I can do some improvements to improve their performance and learn from these engines

wsa111":1e0kev4h said:
1) Check out the tech section. Look at the old Classic Inlines sections.
2) get the Ford Six Performance Manual. Matt sells them at vintageinlines.com
3) I can help you with distributor mods & improvements. Bill
performance manual, ford i6 ('falcon' or Thriftpower) (7 of them 144, 170, 200, 250 big6 240, 300) over 36 yrs in USA yours is different. I think U have the econo &/or sp?
David'n Bill R some of THE Best ! :nod:

1) is at the blue box, top of this page, click where the crossed screw driver/wrench are.
free, fun, extensive. I like reading the whole thing. Use that till -

2) go online there (as suggested) w/a bank card #: "The Ford 'Falcon' Six Cylinder Performance Handbook" order it (20 $ USA?) and while waiting continue reading the 'tech archive' for free. BTW: David has some good info in 'the Handbook' on the "Argie" ('72 - '81) motor U have. Matt also has higher quality alu heads than U may find than Argie heads 'after mrkt". They R new and cast in Australia & shipped 2 him here.Too expensive 4 me.
8^ )
Haynes & Chilton are 2 USA publications we use (shop manuals). The best is the Argentinian Ford specific Dealers shop manual (way more expensive and probably out of date but use in-country internet to them find locally).

Next, we have a more (we call yours South of the Equator) specific forum on this site for non-USA engines (still i6) for Ford Australia and Ford Argentina products:

viewforum.php?f=3

There's not as much 'action' there, but is more specific to your sp iron and alu heads. You're, of course, welcome here too!

Lastly we C irregularly posts and even vids of guys frm ur part of the world ( further south) on this forum and our site. U should hook up w/them for real info from face to face encounters w/those local to U. They can really help out even beyond us.

I'm jealous of ur 'removable intake' model but glad U showed up. Post me if U wish @ my mail (see my url in my signature below) for help if stuck w/sourcing the literature. If the search function fails to help U locate posts frm ur country men I may B able to locate them on here 4 U.
W E L C O M E !!! hope U stick around & find it worthwhile.

matanobs":3nf7fo3l said:
Good evening first of all I thank you for answering me so fast .. and I'm honest I'm from Venezuela it takes a bit to understand the page since everything is in English and I have to translate to understand .. here in my country there are no mechanics or workshops that know how to work well these engines or people with knowledge as what I have seen in this group so I would greatly appreciate if someone helps me in these issues and doubts that I have to learn and improve these engines ... I appreciate any advice or help can give me I'm interested more than everything knowing that year is my stock or head and how to make minimal improvements for now to improve performance I hope you understand me and is explaining well

To learn the year of your engines find the Casting / Design Numbers on the parts like the Block, Head, and other parts, as an example see below.

Engine block design numbers will look something like this C9DE-6015-A which will decode as this

C is the decade and = 1960
9 is the year added together = 1969
D is for the Ford model line the part was design for = a Ford Falcon
E is for the Enginering department that designed it = Engine
6015 is the Ford part number that denotes a cylinder block
A is the number of times the part has been redesigned or improved = 1

The head numbers will be semular when you find them. To know more about your engine like the exact date the block or head was cast at the Ford foundry look for the casting date code it's 3 or 4 numbers plus a letter looks like a small metal tag with a screw head on each end in the casting. When you find your Design Numbers post them and I can help you with decoding them. Good luck (y) :nod:

if U know how to PM (contact posters at a 'mail box' here on this site) David is here and open for U 2 do so. He may know how to purchase that way if it is set up.

"Click" on his name

CZLN6

in his above post & it opens a screen, look for the PM, click on that, send him a msg w/ur Q.
(also has option to use 'external' e-mail there). I'd use the PM function tho).

If it doesn't, U have access to USA dollars, I could buy & mail U if U have no 'bank card'. Oh, wait,
can U use PayPal? It might B used on Matt's site ("VI" or vintageinlines).

Keep talkin...

good night friends thanks for your answers what happens is that here in my country it is not easy to make this type of purchases online and more for the issue of the dollars I am from venezuela so they will understand ... my engine has this date or code d8de 6015 and head d7be 6090 would like to know what year it is and if the head is large or small flow .. also there are exhaust manifolds or manifolds that bring a pot or round container so that is why there are others that do not bring which is the best for performance ?? (y)

Attachments

• wewewe.png
    wewewe.png
    729 KB · Views: 137
we call that "pot" the 'football' exhaust manifold. Some members can explain it's advantage(s), I think it just flows better.
They came with the 3.3 in the last few yrs. It appears to B on one (hi mount starter) or may B a 250 it has been retrofitted onto? The cast in code #s U list
d8de 6015
d = 70s
8 = 8
so it's a 1978. The head code d7be 6090 one year younger but desirable due to volume, lrger valves (intake, exhaust), hardened valve seats, fairly good carb mounting surface (hex) for a buildup/mill pass for 'direct mount 2v carb', less valve shrouding.

HTH, keep talkin!

chad":14795cyh said:
we call that "pot" the 'football' exhaust manifold.

ok friend that is better than the normal one that brought that engine or this soccer ball has better performance?

the best we call 'headers' guys frm Down Under 'pipes' (may B in England too?).
As in my response to your PM Xctasy can give U more on the 'football'.

Many here use the eBay copy (Speed Daddy) of/or the original from Vintage Inlines "headers".

If U want to up the performance (MPGs & pep) & have the time/money I'd suggest a follow of 'the Handbooks' fine guidance on machine shop milling, performance cam, and attention to that DSII ignition U have.
(Still urging U to get a copy of 'the Handbook' & read the 'tech archive' at the top of this page. Wish they were both in Spanish).

Sounds like you're "headed in the right direction" (idiom from english).

BTW: (frm the pic U left) I think U could find a more performance oriented carb...
(If U can cont to provide pic we may B able to get over many communication problems)

The Engine is a 78 with a 77 head. Looks like maybe it's a smog head? If it has the air injection ports those can be plugged. You my be able to get an exhaust header for it, I know you said it's a problem buying stuff online, but they are available here on Ebay. I'd help you get one if you need one, they are around $135 US right now, https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-FORD-M...LD/201155679620?hash=item2ed5d01584:rk:1:pf:0. Being in South America I would look for what they call a "Special Performance" or 221 SP head. They had well designed removable intakes and better combustion chambers:

http://www.geocities.ws/jryelverton/221info.html

This guy's putting one in a boat, sounds like it has a solid lifter cam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(Argentina)

[bbvideo=640,360]https://youtu.be/Y18YyHfvGoY[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=640,360]https://youtu.be/7iJgrAUgfXw[/bbvideo]

Here's another 221 SP:

[bbvideo=640,360]https://youtu.be/gALS1rEhpFo[/bbvideo]

Check out this small log head with a 1v carb! :beer:

[bbvideo=640,360]https://youtu.be/I42g4c_R_vw[/bbvideo]

I love those valve covers

chad":1dlhj5du said:
the best we call 'headers' guys frm Down Under 'pipes' (may B in England too?).
As in my response to your PM Xctasy can give U more on the 'football'.

Many here use the eBay copy of/or the original from Vintage Inlines "headers".

If U want to up the performance (MPGs & pep) & have the time/money I'd suggest a follow of 'the Handbooks' fine guidance on machine shop milling, performance cam, and attention to that DSII ignition U have.
(Still urging U to get a copy of 'the Handbook' & read the 'tech archive' at the top of this page. Wish they were both in Spanish).

Sounds like you're "headed in the right direction" (idiom from english).

BTW: (frm the pic U left) I think U could find a more performance oriented carb...
(If U can cont to provide pic we may B able to get over many communication problems)

ok I already got in touch with Xctasy about the exhaust manifolds I wait for your answer thank you ... and if you know someone who can provide me with the manual that they are recommending me from falcon I would appreciate it a lot because here you can not find it

If someone could help me or provide the manual for the performance of the Ford or Falcon, I would really appreciate it, because here it is almost impossible to get it :thanks:

Would you like to order it on-line yourself?

I think I saw U access Matt's site (above). Can;t use the purchase options there? (is it?: 1) PayPay? 2) send me a check? and 3rd & final? 3) enter your bank card number?).
Matt will take a post directly to him there:

https://www.vintageinlines.com/contact-us

or PM here on our site as U have some of the others of us:

matcox83

to help U w/ ur purchase (@ his site - vintage inlines dot com).

One of us (me?) could take ur cash (in USA dollars) ur address and make the purchase but that is not recommended (sending cash in the mail can cause it to disappear en-route).

Have U found out if U have a USA motor or the sp or econo Argie head?
The red one above looks "late model all USA" to me...
Rip off the carb'n exhaust. Mill 'log' 4 a build up & direct mount Autolite (Motorcraft) 2100 (or Weber 32/36), get Matt's 'shortie' headers, while head's off machine: .050 off surface, do 3^ valve job, back cut intakes, install 'port divider' - all as an initial phase. There's more if goin for a modern cam & all that there can B on this motor. But 4 me, those 4 R basic (along w/the 1st 2). U have one of the better heads, tho (if U have that in the pic & by the casting #s U posted). Let us know what you will use the vehicle for (driving conditions 80 % of the time) & we can advise on cam profile if wanting that change'n advice. I would since it looks like the engine is on the floor & easily swappable.
OR
go SP & 221 as Econoline sez.

Bump, bump?
U get what U need?

What do you mean? The red one is some kind of marinised 221 SP. It's definitely not US. I'm sure it's powering some boat now. There was a 200 someone put in a 19' bartender with a jet drive you can find online, that was up here somewhere in the good ole USA.

That 1v is a mind blower, and it's just some small log from down south

Back