update/ Replacing brakes?

So in my last post i was talking about taking apart the carb. i did that, though im not 100% sure if its worth rebuilding or not. im going to get a quote from a carb shop near me to see if they can fix the few heckups whoever worked on this did, but if thats too costly i may just buy a new carb. itd be a shame since this one was the factory carb though. At the moment it is in every possible piece it can be. the problem?
-someone changed 2 of the 4 screws in the thermostat... to revits. could be easy to fix but i dont have power tools. im tempted to leave it, but if the thermostat doesnt work then id have to replace the whole thing anyways.
-the four screws on the bottom of the throttle body have been unthreaded, and in place used some sort of thread glue to screw actual screws in the holes. im sure this could be redone but.. id rather just have threaded holes like normal. this is more personal preference than any real problem
-someone cut the head off the idle mixture screw. jacked up the entrance, drilled a bit slot into the screw itself, and left it. i can adjust it but i cant take it out no matter what i try. that might be fixed with a small grinder to smooth out the edges so i can take it out and replace it, assuming that missed space doesnt mess with the idle screw itself.
im going to see what kind of quote i can get (or hey, maybe theyd be willing to help a clean fairmont get back on the road) Ill update again when i get some more news on that.
--------------------------------------------

Now the brakes. Okay so not only is this an old ford im trying to find stuff for, but this is also my first ever car. everything im doing is new to me. i rounded up all the parts i would need to replace all the brakes.. and it came up to about $500. i dont exactly have that kind of money lying around, so im wondering if i should try searching junkyards that may have something that will work (though finding something not rusty... wishing myself luck.) or if i should just save up/buy parts as i can. honestly the latter would probably be a better idea. the sound of $500 just makes my wallet cry. also that was off of advanced auto... is there a specific store i should try looking at for better deals or better quality? honestly if i know these brakes are decent quality i wouldnt mind spending the $500 as much, its not knowing if its going to be the cheapest off brand or a decent replacement that makes $500 seem like a lot. i suppose im just rambling at this point but if anyone has any helpful links feel free to share them. im going to snoop around these forums a little bit and see what else i can find relevant to this.

w/o power tools (ele) U will find difficulty even w/brakes. Seems 2 me I reach for sompin all the time but sittin here at the puter I can't recall Y or what.
The best for brakes is open it up, inspect, get whats needed (both sides). If stuff looks good ck brake fluid level, MC & other parts. Do 1 entire axel (both sides) at a time. A friend to run 4 parts & hand wrenches is good (esp if they done a brake job B4). A 2nd car is needed w/my method (altho the prts houses bring stuff here). U can reuse lots of stuff by wire brushin (I have a bench grinder w/wire wheel on I clean springs, etc), rust preventative, reassembly. Shoes and sometimes drums - not so much. I think the Fairmont has discs up frnt? There U just replace pads'n rotors, a few lill clips.
hafta run another thread for the carb. I need to get operational deffinitions or coordinate names of sm prts w/U...There is no carb thermostat. There is a blk baklite choke housing tho. Lets address that in another thread to keep my confusion down...it doesn't take much :roll:

Hi, how do the brakes feel now?
As mentioned, you probably don't have to replace everything.
Unless the rotors and drums are really bad, keep them. Clean, inspect, and pack the front wheel bearings. I reuse the seal unless it is ripped or mangled.
Replacing the calipers, hoses and wheel cylinders may be required, but check them all out for frozen parts. Never overtighten the bleeder screws or next time they won't loosen.
When it is apart decide what you need to replace, I never just buy all new parts just because.
Good luck

Bump, bump...?
Any progress?
Round up a buddy w/his own car? Take apart what U have 2 C what needs U got? Locate a local big box prts store?
(I like NAPA but wrked 4 AutoZone).

What lets U know it needs breaks? Got any money? Etc, etc...

Sorry, been out of it the past few weeks. No real updates because of the holidays, cant really spare any money towards it and been sorta lazy all together. I'll update this post and answer all your questions when I get back to working on it, thanks for everyones input.

Small update though, I sorted out everything on the carb and cleaned it so all I have to do now is put it back together.

Where did you price out the brake parts? You should be able to rebuild rear drums for less than $150 replacing everything including the wheel cylinders, pads, adjusters, auto adjusting mechs, every spring and having the drums turned on a brake lathe. If you have front discs they should be similar if you replace the discs and calipers and have them turned.

Back