Introduction and Carb/Dizzy Combo for a 62 Comet

I cked the safety vid, thanks for that.
They all showed the same crash. It was as deadly as could B (head on w/an offset toward each driver). I had the same beef I have w/the cop's body cam. U C something for a very short time, but nothing B4 or after that frames the short piece in it's wider context. Not a lie, just no context.

Anyway the older car's dummy showed headliner contact (paint up there) so did the new car. Ofcourse the death spear did it's thing. I wont go dwn each part. The glass in the new car (crumple zone) didn't even pop, the older car - it went flyin, etc.
I don't know what to say. I know the new car is safer, lotta technology, laws, science's gone in in 50, 60 yrs. (s*^t, ever C same done w/a SMART car? That lill fella, even smashed inta Jersey barriers at 80 protected the passenger). I guess I was lookin at the mass, only partial structure (frame) & thinkin the physics not the mechanics (unibody v body on chassy).

Don't forget. Performance improvement usually assists on MPGs too. If this car gets over 18 MPGs B happy. We can up it to it's max if wishing to do so. Its a thousand lill things that doit, just like anything else...

Chapa71,

If you're still considering upgrading the brakes, here's a good deal on a rear disc brake setup that will fit your 7-1/4" axle:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-7-1-4-Rea ... 1438.l2649

This is the company that makes the kit if you want to purchase one directly:
http://abspowerbrake.com/

For the front axle you could purchase brackets from Scarebird and purchase the rest locally:
https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=p ... ry&path=65

A master cylinder from a manual 4 wheel disc 1967 Corvette and you're all set.

Hope this helps.

Chapa71":nt3vamsf said:
will look into that
the kits R always expensive.
I bought some caliper brackets frm a race co & all the rest local big box store. 1/2 these prices.
Decide if U wannem up frnt as suggested. I'm sure guys on here know Y/M/M oe for easy conversion.
A Mark IIIIIII (80s?) will have a correct bolt pattern (4 ur fire wall) & dual res. for frnt disc/back drum Master Cyl.

I can't afford the kit, like oem & when knowing the Y/M/M I can rebuild locally when time for pads/rotors.
This way there's extra $ 4 stuff like that console & seats...

On my 63 Ranchero, I did the Scarebird disc on front and the Geo Metro power brake booster mod. Do a web search for the Geo Metro mod. And I did the Maverick 8 inch rearend.

Great improvements and DIY.

RickBrooks

rwbrooks50":1qldfywy said:
On my 63 Ranchero...I did the Maverick 8 inch rearend
There's some help! (what yrs Mav?) Well wait, he's got rear's OK.

Is the '77 'stang a disc frnt end? Is it the same sz as the '62 comet.
What yrs fit w/o knuck change or similar big deal he can do? (rotor/caliper/hoses/brackets)

My rears (disc conversion) - w/a bracket frm some ol race co, I put on '85 CJ rotors & '85 elderado calipers (only 1 to fit w/an
e-brake I could use). The kit was $800 at the time (& they used same exact stuff). My price - coupla hundred @ most.
Let's give da guy some help...
I thought Scarebird meant a t-bird conversion (bird prts get rida da scary)...

I've heard the L6 spindles have had a habit of snapping. That'd be a shame to buy the scarebird stuff and have a spindle snap. I currently daily my 65 200 Ranchero and that is a concern of mine. I already put a mustang 8" in the rear and ao currently i have 4 lug front, 5 lug rear.
I'm looking at putting in V8 disk spindles from 65+ so that'd fix my spindle worry and different lug pattern issue. Its fairly straight forward from what I've read. In the 64 or 65 cars the spindles drop right in and all you need to do is put a sleeve they sell from this one company into the tie rod slot and boom it works! Obviously you need to attach the disks and all and get a proportioning valve with a dual res MC but thats not difficult.

Just in case you wanted to go an extra safer route with adding disks. What makes it nice is that you keep a lot of OEM crap kinda like scarebird but you dont need a custom hub and you aint using a collage of parts from a Chevy Celebrity and a Toyota something. It would all be from whatever year of spindle you got.

Good luck man,
Ryan

Howdy Back Ryan:

Wow! After all the side tracks, I still curious how the addition of the PetroniX and possibly the carb change came out for you. You may want to start another topic because this one has become cumbersome. How about an update on your progress and any other plans you have for the future.

Adios, David

Chapa71":jss6gl9n said:
...I completely understand your concerns and yes it worries me too
...The comfort I have is we have set some rules...
100% agreement. There is No Thing like the v e r y lengthy list of defensive driving techniques.
That & ur relationship w/her ('rules') go well beyond any vehicle mods possible.

We got a young fella on here that's done some good mods'n tough wrk to his '62 144 Falcon (pulled it ouda the weeds, made into DD!) but we stress all the defensive driving techniques. His buddies? no - they egg him on. I call it "bully'.

We hope our love goes beyond peer pressure. The girls seem a lill easier to wrk w/here (at least mine anyway).

Back