Autolite 1100 M/T to A/T conversion is this possible?

Chapa71

I found an Autolite 1100 off a 65 mustang. It is a M/T carb
My car is A/T

Question:
Can it be converted?

Yes if you can find the auto trans carb parts to install on it. Good luck (y) :nod:

Dashpots were a common item in the 50's & 60's automatic combos.
I would give the manual trans carb a try.
I would just raise the curb idle speed in drive by 25-50 RPMS.

I've only used MT carbs on with my AT and it's never been a problem. It doesn't die coming to a stop.

Econoline":7jv3p04z said:
It doesn't die coming to a stop.
That's wha de ol Dash Pot(s) were for (& assorted links). Kept the autos from stallin as U came offa da gas on a auto tranny. Got nick-named
"Choke Pull Off"
by most mechanics (I think) cuz they ditched em in the trash so much.

No a choke pulloff opens the choke blade after initial starting to prevent the choke blade from over choking-richening.
Its a very important adjustment to prevent stalling on a cold start or over choking the engine.
Even the Holley 2bbls have a pulloff adjustment on the choke housing.

Howdy Chapa and All:

Take a close look at both carbs, side by side. You'll see the that the Auto trans carb has a mounting feature and a vacuum source on the side to mount the dashpot. The dashpot functions on vacuum. When the throttle is closed as coming to a stop, the engine is at high vacuum. That opens the throttle slightly so the engine doesn't stall out.

To confuse things, carb rebuilder ocassionally use automatic carbs for rebuilding as manual carbs because, typically, auto trans carbs have a tighter throttle shaft due to less wear.

BIll's suggestion is a good one. Give it a try and let us know how it went for you.

Adios, David

Back