Can Motorcraft 5200 hot water choke be used on Weber 32/36? Benefits?

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

I got a Motorcraft 5200 that looks to have come off a pinto/capri, something with a L4 and it has the hot water choke. I kinda like the idea of that over the electric choke b/c it opens as the car actually gets warm and closes as it cools, rather being its own system. Plus it warms the carb when its freezing out. Thats just how I see it.

But bigger question, can i put that on my redline 32/36? Is this an upgrade to the electric choke? What are the downsides? Upsides?

The 5200 has 2/4 mounting holes kinda screwed up. The corners are missing but i dont see how a JB weld fix and the use of washers couldnt fix that. So is this save able? Or is it just for parts?

Thanks guys
Ryan

Attachments

• 20181203_214505.jpg
    20181203_214505.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 20181203_214514.jpg
    20181203_214514.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Look online at the hot water chokes for the 32/36 and see how similar they are with the one on the 5200. The 5200 is based on the 32/36 design so it may work.

main things as U know - leaks (air, H2O) and 'cleanliness'.

I, on other hand like the cleaner lines of the ele (or manual) choke
& see 'heat as heat' (from stator lug, 'hot air tube' or radiator).

Howdy Ryan:

Q- Is this an upgrade to the electric choke? What are the downsides? Upsides?
A- The electric choke is designed as an improvement over the hot water choke system. The electric choke was designed to be simpler, cleaner, less prone to leaks, and lighter. While the hot water choke was an improvement over the hot air system, drawing hot, dirty air through the exhaust manifold progress did not end there.

The electric choke system begins opening the choke as soon as the ignition is switch on, rather than waiting 7 to 10 minutes for the coolant to heat up. The electric choke maintains heat as long as the ignition switch is in the on position.

Hope that helps you. Keep it coming.

Adios, David

Back