Normal for condensation around the carb?

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy huys,

Ive been getting either condensation or gas around the carb and i cant seem to smell if its gas.
Its a bunch of droplets around the base of the carb facing the valve cover and front. Its on the weber adapter to on the same sides. Is this nornal when its fricken cold out? The weber adapter is not warm yet nor is the carb but the engine is all warmed up.

Thanks,
Ryan

condensation re temp difference. It comes ouda the air (H2O vapor).
Not sure where as IDK ur system (even tho U describe it well) but the contrast duz it.
If U can't get yer nose dwn there put a long rubber line dwn & sniff...I believe U will C - it's H2O.

Probably frm the speed of flow in the carb venturi makin the base cold. This is how the dreaded Vapor Lock -
"Carb Icing" occurs to create stalls, no restarts (for 10 min) but on the inside.

I've yet to have carb icing. What causes that and how likely will it happen to a weber 32/36? This is part of the reason i mentioned using the hot water choke off the Hollet 5200. It'd warm the carb up faster than how it is now.

in western OR or WA (there's no 'location' in ur sig) I think U have alot
of moist weather. Chances go up.
But listen, millions of cars were made, were driven there.
No biggie, we can help U deal.

Back soon, eve. appointment -

chad":ttgmjap1 said:
in eastern OR or WA (there's no 'location' in ur sig) I think U have alot
of moist weather. Chances go up.
But listen, millions of cars were made, were driven there.
No biggie, we can help U deal.

Back soon, eve. appointment -
I dont think its gas. It only happens when its cold as crap in the morning. The car runs very smoothly so it definitely doesnt have a vacuum leak.

Yup im western WA.

Thanks man!
Ryan

leadslinger (nother bronk) is posting Right Now abt this same issue (possibly).
Follow there too...

Howdy Ryan and All:

"What causes that (carb icing) and how likely will it happen to a weber 32/36?"
Carb icing happens when cold, moist is drawn into the carb. The wind chill effect of that air being drawn into the carb throat caused is to turn the moisture in the air to turn to ice.
How likely on a Weber? It will depend on several factors. What type of air cleaner are you using, what is happening to your engines heat. Are you driving or idling your engine on warm up. Are you using an engine preheater?

"This is part of the reason i mentioned using the hot water choke off the Hollet 5200."
The hot water piped to the base or choke of the carb is there to maintain warmth to the carb. That warmth would be important on a cold moist day

"It'd warm the carb up faster than how it is now."
It wouldn't warm the choke up faster than an electric coil unit but it would maintain some warmth to the carb after the engine reaches a high enough temperature to open the thermostat.

The FOMOCO factory solution to heating a cold carb was to induct hot air off the exhaust manifold in through the air cleaner. They added an air cleaner that plumbed hot air to the carb when it was cold and cool outside air when it was hot. It was the best of both temperature conditions. If I recall correctly I think it was called "Climatic Control".

Are you sure that your electric choke heater element is working? FYI- your aluminum adapter is very efficient at warming and cooling. Much quicker that other materials around your engine so it will be more likely to show condensation.

You seem to like the idea of running a heater hose next to your carb. If it will make you feel better do it. It probably won't hurt anything.

Adios, David

CZLN6":267vp1kh said:
Howdy Ryan and All:

"What causes that (carb icing) and how likely will it happen to a weber 32/36?"
Carb icing happens when cold, moist is drawn into the carb. The wind chill effect of that air being drawn into the carb throat caused is to turn the moisture in the air to turn to ice.
How likely on a Weber? It will depend on several factors. What type of air cleaner are you using, what is happening to your engines heat. Are you driving or idling your engine on warm up. Are you using an engine preheater?

"This is part of the reason i mentioned using the hot water choke off the Hollet 5200."
The hot water piped to the base or choke of the carb is there to maintain warmth to the carb. That warmth would be important on a cold moist day

"It'd warm the carb up faster than how it is now."
It wouldn't warm the choke up faster than an electric coil unit but it would maintain some warmth to the carb after the engine reaches a high enough temperature to open the thermostat.

The FOMOCO factory solution to heating a cold carb was to induct hot air off the exhaust manifold in through the air cleaner. They added an air cleaner that plumbed hot air to the carb when it was cold and cool outside air when it was hot. It was the best of both temperature conditions. If I recall correctly I think it was called "Climatic Control".

Are you sure that your electric choke heater element is working? FYI- your aluminum adapter is very efficient at warming and cooling. Much quicker that other materials around your engine so it will be more likely to show condensation.

You seem to like the idea of running a heater hose next to your carb. If it will make you feel better do it. It probably won't hurt anything.

Adios, David
Oh ok that makes plenty of sense.

Ok so my air cleaner is the big chrome round one you'd see on a V8, maybe a 1.5" height to it. So no preheater, im driving it during warm up. I let it idle for about 2 mins before driving it.

So i worded what i said about warming the choke up quicker, i meant the carb itself. The hot water off the engine would get the carb (not the choke) hot faster than just the engine driving around and having the electric choke warm it.

I actually have a 289 air cleaner that on the snorkel has a side piece that i believe goes to the exhaust manifold. I thought that was for smog actually, which is why ive been looking into making a snorkel without the weird side pipe to it.

Yes my choke is working properly. I've been checking it a lot lately and have been having to increase the richness a lot over what I've previously had it since it got so cold here in the mornings lately.

I've just been playing around with the idea of using that hot water choke. Like it makes sense that it'd heat the carb itself up faster than just havjng the engine heat the carb through conduction. Plus, like you said it'd stay open a little longer when its hot, b/c this choke closes quickly since it got cold when i cut the engine off. Then in the summer, it'd help keep the carb cooler since it's drawing heat away from it too, right? Sorry, im taking fluid dynamics in school and im trying to use what I've learned there on my car. To me it seems logical to use the water choke. But give me your opinion. And why or why not you'd use it. You probably have experience with all this, while I dont.

Thanks a lot David,
Ryan

anoter fluid is the ambient air - it has H2O vapor in it.
It (buk H2O) is coming out of suspension due to temp differential.
No problem 4 U.

:unsure: RE:Carb icing.As the air is drawn in through the top of the carb and enters the venturi,
The air flow accelerates because of the smaller diameter of the venturi.The higher the speed of the air the cooler it seems,and that is when icing occurs.That is why aircraft have a carb heat control on the instrument panel.
I have seen carbs completely closed from icing in North Florida during the winter.
The GI`s during WW2 in Europe had that problem with the Jeeps in the European winters,and also with the other carbed vehicles also.And as strange as it seems,when the conditions are just right,you can get carb icing in any state during the winter.
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Howdy All:

"So i worded what i said about warming the choke up quicker, i meant the carb itself. The hot water off the engine would get the carb (not the choke) hot faster than just the engine driving around and having the electric choke warm it."
If warm/hot air is being drawn into the carb there is little need to heat the carb. That's why FoMoCo went to the air intake system I described earlier.

"I actually have a 289 air cleaner that on the snorkel has a side piece that i believe goes to the exhaust manifold. I thought that was for smog actually, which is why ive been looking into making a snorkel without the weird side pipe to it."
The factory air cleaner system you are describing is excellant and much better, in the winter, than a typical open element air cleaner. I don't know what year air cleaner you have, but in the early seventies the factory system had a thermo valve that opened in the summer to draw cooler, away from the engine, outside air. In the winter the valve would close to draw hot air off of the exhaust manifold. The best of both worlds.

Hey Leo, thanks for the good description on carb icing.

Adios, David

the big circle (2.5 inches?) at the bottom of the snorkel is 4 a pleated (like a heater hot air dash hose) paper/alu foil covered hose to stretch dwn (almost like the lill asbestos covered metal tube thru the exh manif up to 'hot air choke') to bring up warm air to carb. Certain yrs have a manually operated flapper door (inside the snorkel) that is switched winter'n summer for the air direction.

Guys strip off all sorta stuff w/o knowledge as "it looks better" (pcv, vacuum lines, ac hoses/tubes...

U can get a replacement hose at the big bx prts store (autozone, etc).

EDIT:
just seen on the other similar thread by Mr. David S:
"...slightly off-set and included the "Climatic Air" piping and valve as well...."

Back