Bowl seems to be running out of gas

ledslinger29

Hey fellas, long time no post. The Autolite 1100 on my 170 seems to be running out of fuel, and I’m wondering if ya’ll think it could be boiling off. When I rebuilt the engine last year, I removed the spacer that has the connector for the heater hose, and added a phenolic spacer instead, thinking it wasn’t needed. When I park the truck after driving a few miles, say to run into the store and grab a six pack and get some gas, the truck doesn’t want to start back up. This only happens if it sat long enough for the engine temp to go up after shutting down for a bit. Any of y’all ever experience this?

can U see any wet there at the carb?
leak @ needle/seat?
Its short enuff time that vehicle is still 'warm'? So 'finger' on carb
linkage is still up (choke engagement) so choke is not involved but still needed?

Float sinks in bowel?

* What happens when U turn the key? What do U do w/ur throttle/foot?

It's possible frm 'heat sink' but I doubt it.

Sounds like it is or vapor lock. If it is boiling off you should be able to smell it.

Now that I think about there's a good chance that vapor lock is my issue. I haven't looked at the in tank filter in years, and I put a new fuel pump on when I rebuilt the motor. I suppose I could start there.

I think 'carb iceing' - 'vapor lock' would happen as driven.
I guess if there wuz enuff moisture in the air (not in today's gas?)
it could happen while siting (10 min drive, shut off, few min in 'store', not enuff time for heat sink
to warm 'froz carb'...

Again - what do U do @ 'restart'?

Howdy Ledslinger and All:

FYI- Gas evaporates very quickly. Even faster on a hot engine. You are not very likely to see a carb gas leak. The best you can do is to look for the tell-tale stain left behind. Even the smell dissipates very quickly. Try to catch a smell or spot a leak at engine shut off.

Your best bet is to check all possible causes of fuel and fuel flow issues.

Adios, David

Back