air cleaner on direct mount 2100

bmbm40

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
So if you direct mount a 2100 on a 200/250 will a v8 dropped base style Ford air cleaner fit? Say from a Mustang or F series vehicle with 2bbl carb (2150) and a v8. Anyone have this in a Mustang or Bronco? I would think in a Bronco it would be ok not sure about Mustang. The v8 air cleaner is a larger diameter.
Thanks

I think the i6 drop base is the one 2 use (not bent8) late 70s Mav 250.
Not sure but it may require an adapt/mod @ the base / carb 'junction' (made smaller? bigger?).
Wish I hada table'o contents or 'index' to my saved threads - bet 'X' duz...

Write as a Q rather than havin the solution imbedded in it. That way we can B of more help ("I can't xxx. What can U suggest?")

If you mean a stock style air cleaner onto the carb it was roughly designed for then i dont see an issue why not. I have a 289 one that may hit my valve cover since its the dropped base one, but I've yet to try it yet since i can't direct mount my stuff yet.

I currently run a chrome one from NAPA and i have an adapter pushing the Weber up, and a .25 phenolic spacer, then my air cleaner and it closes just perfectly. So if yours is direct mounted, it sits much lower and i dont see a reason why it wouldn't take a stock AC

Now if you're talking hitting the valve cover, you can always get an Air Cleaner riser from NAPA or somewhere. They sell them in varying heights to raise the AC up some. My buddy had to do that on his Camaro since the new carb's choke hit the AC

Good luck,
Ryan

HOwdy All:

I used a factory air cleaner system off of an early eighties Ford LTD V8. It was slightly off-set and included the "Climatic Air" piping and valve as well. This was on my '65 Ranchero with a 250 engine so clearance of the hood required some minor modifications you may not need. The air cleaner body was alloy so it was also lighter.

Hope that helps.

Adios, David

CZLN6":1qs76ohc said:
HOwdy All:

I used a factory air cleaner system off of an early eighties Ford LTD V8. It was slightly off-set and included the "Climatic Air" piping and valve as well. This was on my '65 Ranchero with a 250 engine so clearance of the hood required some minor modifications you may not need. The air cleaner body was alloy so it was also lighter.

Hope that helps.

Adios, David

Yes thanks I was hoping to get some feedback from someone that had done this before. If I direct mount a v8 carb it makes sense i believe to use the larger v8 ac. I have seen pics from a late 80's v8 Mustang with the dropped base ac and two air inlets and that appeals to me.
And David now that you mention it I remember seeing pics of this in the Falcon Handbook so now I see in my copy how it looks. Seems to clear the oil filler tube fine. I am a believer in looking for parts early.
Thanks everyone else for the tips and suggestions.

Back