Weber 32/36 on early 170

Creechn32

I was thinking about putting a Weber 32/36 and adapter on my 63 170. I understand the conversion is better but that still creates a problem for me. Issue is I currently run an Autolite 1100/LoadOMatic combo. If I remove the 1100 I have to deal with the LOM distributor. Are there any other options other than spending $400 on a DUI distributor that will fit the 1/4" shaft for the oil pump? With all my reading there are only two options I've seen. Either the DUI with the 1/4" drive or swap the engine to a later model with a larger hole for the distributor. I've seen local engine/transmission combos for less money than the DUI distributor....

There is also severial other options for these early engines. There is an electronic Distributor available from places like Australia that will fit in your block plus Swap in the later oil pump. If you are rebuilding the engine you can have the block hole opened up with a reamer for the 5/16 inch drive OD, or you can have a 5/16 drive Distribitor machined down to the 1/4 inch drives OD diameter and make an oil pump adaptor. Their may be a few other ways I am not remembering about right now, in any case there are some old posts were we discussed this before. Good luck (y) :nod:

My 63 Falcon 4 dr wagon has a Maverick 170 and Holley/Weber 5200 = 32/36 . Carb is mounted on $15 - 2X1 adapter (kudos Tom Langdon)
The H/W5200 version was used on 70's Ford Mercury Capri V6 with a displacement of 2.8L or 170CID . Has run flawlessly for over 10 years with consistent idle, cruise and as much power as the torquey 170 can deliver when the secondary opens. PROGRESSIVE 32/36 (5200) offers a good option with likely performance and MPG upgrade. My 63 uses the swapped 71 Maverick 170's original POINTS ignition.

IS LOM DIstributor main problem no centrifugal advance ?.

hae fun

I am not rebuilding the engine as there is no need currently. It was done about a year ago.

Yes the LoadOMatic distributor is the main issue here. I wouldn't mind converting to an HEI or Duraspark II ignition but from what I've read there is issues with the small hole in the early blocks.

If I'm going to spend a hundred or so on machine work and then more on the distributor and ignition system I'm better off not having to hassle with it and just purchasing the DUI system. If that's the case I can upgrade to a 200/c4 combo for about the same cost.

In my opinion the suggestions made by bubba are the other alternatives for a performance setup but when it comes down to it without custom machining there isnt anything beside the 1/4 drive DUI available. Now i will say that machining the block to accept the later model 5/16 drive systems opens up a world of possiblities, but most machine shops dont want to or refuse to do that kind of work anymore. And im sure that Bill will leave his opinion on the DUI systems but its really all we 1/4 drive guys gots. If he was smart hed figure out a way to make something for us 1/4 drive guys and under cut the DUI by 50 bucks and make a fortune but thats just me. As ive stated previously the adapter with the DUI only nets about a 15 HP increase by itself which is noticeable for our anemic engines but may not quite feel like its worth it considering the monetary input.

That's too bad there are no alternatives. Or, what I would consider a cost effective alternative to the DUI. There is a deal on a Weber and adapter that I was contemplating on purchasing. But only if I could find a way around the LOM issue....

I guess I'll pass on the carb and look towards the exhaust side of things for now....

Yeah when i add up everything i purchased to do the swap it cost me a little over $700 for a measly 15 HP but i also had the dual outlet speeddaddy header on it so its probably closer to 20 or so HP over stock but direct mount and a turbo would really be the way to go if i want some more serious power.

Creechn32":2h398zcv said:
I am not rebuilding the engine as there is no need currently. It was done about a year ago.

Yes the LoadOMatic distributor is the main issue here. I wouldn't mind converting to an HEI or Duraspark II ignition but from what I've read there is issues with the small hole in the early blocks.

If I'm going to spend a hundred or so on machine work and then more on the distributor and ignition system I'm better off not having to hassle with it and just purchasing the DUI system. If that's the case I can upgrade to a 200/c4 combo for about the same cost.

As I said in my above post there are some ways that are far less expensive to solve the 1/4 inch drive distributor problem other then going with the DUI swap. Here is the link (see below) to a post from awhile back that covers most of the ways that you can do it. Good luck (y) :nod:

Distribator swaps for early blocks with 1/4 inch oil pump drive shafts
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77360&p=595423#p595423

.. I'm stuck on what is wrong with using an original LOM/SCV type distributor with better non-scv carb? ? - is the SCV distrib not usable for some reason?. ... can't move vacuum source to manifold ?

thanks

Powerband, from what I understand and have read the vacuum applied to the distributor is compensated by the spark control valve at the correct time and applied as necessary as vacuum rises and drops in the engine. This vacuum advance only distributor was one of, or the first ford used, and is just not the best. Also from what I understand it just doesn't work correctly without the SCV on the carb.

From my studying of the distributor, the LOM units are as stated vacuum advance only there is no mechanical advance to them so they run purely off the intial advance and whatever is supplied to them via the carb setup. They are also slow to apply and dont apply much more advance at all, i havent found a spec specifically but ive heard its only like 20 degrees tops. Where as newer and performance units tend to have a considerable amount of mechanical advance as well as vacuum advance allowing on intial and mechanical alone to reach, in some cases, into the mid 40s and then you can throw the vacuum advance on top of that, pretty overkill for most applications but much higher. But the overall sluggish application and vacuum only advance makes the LOM distributors a poor choice for performance. Hence why most like to run the DSII if applicable.

Back