Lifting engine out via the cylinder head bolts?

tonyduc

All
I have seen this done in pictures for other engines, but since I have the cylinder head already removed, is it safe for the engine to remove it by attaching the cherry picker chains to the top of the cylinder and secured by the head bolts ? Especially with the inline six this seems easy with a leveler.

Thanks
Tony

Hi, sure you can. You can see my engine in the driveway a few posts below, titled Happy with the 200.
I didn't use my head bolts. I dug a couple of old bolts out of the drawer. You don't want to damage the head bolts you need, and they are too long anyway.
Good luck

1) safety 1st, &, 2) 'least wrk to clean up any of my upcoming mistakes'-
R 2 rules (so, no I don't. Could use grade 8 & short/wide 1/4 inch plate?). Some even
put a chain on the i6 log but I don't like it.

The 'leveler' is a nice extra. Sometimes with it screwed one way alot, the floor is less well swept, may B the crane wheels aren't well lubed, we jerk the load around a bit. Briefly, in this situation, there can B a lotta weight on just 2 bolts. Would U wanna break 1 or 2 in the middle of that whole process? These 'sm 6' motors only weigh less than 500 lbs but C rules 1 & 2...
:nod:

Apparently im the odd man out here? When i removed my engine i did so fully assembled and it was a nightmare and i would never do that again. But when i re installed it i assembled the block and put that in first and when i installed it i used the headbolts in opposite corners of the block and it went in rather easy without issue and i didnt even think twice about it. I guess i have more faith in the hardware ford used than most. TBH i would probably do it again

As long as you don't scuff the deck and have the fasteners screwed in good and plenty why not.

Thanks all. My HB leveler has 4 chains with a small flat attachment for a bolt at each end. Good advice about avoiding scratching the deck though, perhaps I just have each attachment slid the top of the bolt rather than firmly attached at the surface..

There's definitely an advantage to pulling the engine without the heads on, very easy to balance. Everything went smoothly and I did put a protector between the bolt and the deck - scrap piece of flooring with foam underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
Back