Engine Lugging with 3 spd ?

falcon_master

Hey everyone, today I have a pretty basic question but I’d like to hear all of your opinions on it. I know lugging an engine isn’t that good for it as it causes bearing damage and high pressures on pistons at low rpm, but my problem is in my falcon first is non synchro so I can’t downshift to first whenever I want to avoid lugging. So let’s say I’m going to take a right turn I slow down to 12-15 mph but I can only go down to second gear which is about 1,000 rpm. Is this lugging the engine trying to accelerate from the turn again? What do I do about this I know these engine don’t make much oil pressure at low rpm don’t wanna damage it by lugging it

1000 RPM is no problem for a healthy engine. Just don't stand on the throttle when you accelerate out of the turn.

:unsure: Hi Falcon_master.Ya need to learn the art of double clutching,or how to drop into neutral release the clutch,blip the throttle and press the clutch pedal down and shift into first gear.It`s real easy to do.I learned how when my Dad taught me how to drive when I was 12 years old in a 1949 Chevy Suburban.As i said it`s real easy with a bit of practice.The lesson carried over to my first car which was a 1953 Studebaker Champion three on the tree with an electric OD BW tranny.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

woodbutcher":38seh8ju said:
:unsure: Hi Falcon_master.Ya need to learn the art of double clutching,or how to drop into neutral release the clutch,blip the throttle and press the clutch pedal down and shift into first gear.It`s real easy to do.I learned how when my Dad taught me how to drive when I was 12 years old in a 1949 Chevy Suburban.As i said it`s real easy with a bit of practice.The lesson carried over to my first car which was a 1953 Studebaker Champion three on the tree with an electric OD BW tranny.
Leo
Thats pretty sick with the Stude man! I love them cars. I got a 61 Lark with the 3spd OD setup. I csnt wait to get it drivable!

falcon_master":2wqb1mm6 said:
Hey everyone, today I have a pretty basic question but I’d like to hear all of your opinions on it. I know lugging an engine isn’t that good for it as it causes bearing damage and high pressures on pistons at low rpm, but my problem is in my falcon first is non synchro so I can’t downshift to first whenever I want to avoid lugging. So let’s say I’m going to take a right turn I slow down to 12-15 mph but I can only go down to second gear which is about 1,000 rpm. Is this lugging the engine trying to accelerate from the turn again? What do I do about this I know these engine don’t make much oil pressure at low rpm don’t wanna damage it by lugging it
Yeah don't worry about it. I still do the same with my 200 but the difference is, i have 2.8 rear gears. So you're 1000prm is like 700 to me.
Just dont wail on it. You'll hear it lug, it wont like it. It'll be a real deep kind of noise and you won't like the sound of it. As long as you're easy on it, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply’s everyone. I know it’s an amateur question but just wanted to make sure. I know double clutching just haven’t had match practice don’t wanna grind first that bad lol. My only other question is say I’m in third going 45 and wanna pass is it better to lug the engine or downshift. I know constant downshifting isn’t good for the synchros but neither is lugging. Although I don’t see lugging being all that terrible either.

falcon_master":3epw0v43 said:
Thanks for the reply’s everyone. I know it’s an amateur question but just wanted to make sure. I know double clutching just haven’t had match practice don’t wanna grind first that bad lol. My only other question is say I’m in third going 45 and wanna pass is it better to lug the engine or downshift. I know constant downshifting isn’t good for the synchros but neither is lugging. Although I don’t see lugging being all that terrible either.
Well that depends on your rear gear and if you're pulling a grade or not. When do you normally shift for 3rd? If you can hold 2nd till 50, then you're good, if not, just stay in 3rd and pass if its flat. If you're pulling a grade, i wouldn't recommend passing.

so many different paramiters...including driving a cousin's
vehicle home w/o any clutch (she blew it out) by simply
bringing engine revs to proper place'n pressing selector into
gear. No nash, no clash...
At one point 'double clutchin' was the norm (C Leo's above).

Ok yeah that makes more sense. I just sorry about over using the synchros but I guess that's why there there. Rather replace those than a engine. Thanks everyone. And as for when I shift for what little I have driven I shift into 3rd at around 35. Engine isn't revving that high yet so if I had to guess in 2nd I can probably pull till 50-55.

yer ear can tell but...
a tach would B cool.
I think ur ear is a lill sensitive (no facts here tho) and think U could rev it a lill higher?

Hows the breaks now?

woodbutcher":1xmzcboa said:
Leo

To expand on the double clutching to downshift:

Depress the clutch, shift into neutral, release the clutch.
Then, give it a little gas, revving the engine a little over the RPM it will be in first and let off (that’s the “blip”!)
Then depress the clutch, slide it into first and release the clutch.

What this does is gets the trans and the engine close enough in speed so it doesn’t grind.

Upshifting with double clutching doesn’t use the gas, because the engine needs to be slower in the higher gear.

Practice on level ground with no pressure from traffic. You’ll get it in no time.

Back