Are jet sizes proportional to engine size?

Here's what we've all been waiting for....

https://youtu.be/9SYPnN4QFEI

(Both times i floor it are on hills (flooring is actually 3/4 open secondary))

On the highway at 65, flat, its about 13.5

From what i saw it runs lean, except cruising, but i guess you guys will be the ones to say how much i should go up on mains or go down on idle jets.

Thanks guys

Looks like you are running a little rich if anything. Doesn't look like it ever goes much lean.

Econoline":2jzqu8wy said:
Looks like you are running a little rich if anything. Doesn't look like it ever goes much lean.
I was told when flooring it, it should be more around 12.5, not 13.5ish. And cruising should be 14.5, and I'm running 13.5.

By that, I'd think im lean in the power circuit, and rich in the idle circuit. But we'll wait till Bill chimes in since he wanted to see this.

I'll post another this week when i can get back out on the highway. I did get up to 80mph today from flooring it at 60 and it was about 13.9ish.

I'm sorry, I should have kept my mouth shut. I don't really know what you are looking for other than 14.7 is technically perfect and above that is lean which you don't want especially at wot when damage may occur. I would think when you are cruising and idling you should be around 14-15. It's doesn't look lean enough to cause pinging to me. But I'm no expert, never had one either. I'll digress and defer to Bill and others that actually know something more about it.

Econoline":2rdoknp6 said:
I'm sorry, I should have kept my mouth shut. I don't really know what you are looking for other than 14.7 is technically perfect and above that is lean which you don't want especially at wot when damage may occur. I would think when you are cruising and idling you should be around 14-15. It's doesn't look lean enough to cause pinging to me. But I'm no expert, never had one either. I'll digress and defer to Bill and others that actually know something more about it.
No don't keep your mouth shut man. I want to hear everyone's input. I do appreciate it.

Yes I'm trying to get it as close to perfect as I can, thats the goal. At idle its ahout 12.5 so i am running rich there. I'll look into backing the idle jet off 1 and see what happens.

13.9 @ WOT will fry your engine. That the reason for your pinging. However the distributor curve is also at question. Let me say i know its way off.
Cruise 14.25-14.75.
WOT 12.5-13.1 prefer for most HP 12.8-13.1
Low speed cruise @ 15-25 mph 13.5-14.25 thats the mixture mostly from the idle transfer slots.

wsa111":3t8h7iuw said:
13.9 @ WOT will fry your engine. That the reason for your pinging. However the distributor curve is also at question. Let me say i know its way off.
Cruise 14.25-14.75.
Low speed cruise @ 15-25 mph 13.5-14.25 thats the mixture mostly from the idle transfer slots.
I'll play with the idle circuit, but how much would you guess to move up on the primary jets?

StarDiero75":1tdcmm8n said:
wsa111":1tdcmm8n said:
Cruise 14.25-14.75.
I'll play with the idle circuit, but how much would you guess to move up on the primary jets?
Your cruise A/F would be better if in the over 14 area.
I don't do Webers. X is the man to guide you from here.
If it was a Holley or Autolite i would go up 2 main jet sizes to get you cruise up a little. The WOT if still lean is fuel starvation or richen up the PVCR jets under the power valve.

wsa111":1ku69awr said:
StarDiero75":1ku69awr said:
wsa111":1ku69awr said:
Cruise 14.25-14.75.
Your cruise A/F would be better if in the over 14 area.
I don't do Webers. X is the man to guide you from here.
If it was a Holley or Autolite i would go up 2 main jet sizes to get you cruise up a little. The WOT if still lean is fuel starvation or richen up the PVCR jets under the power valve.
Thats right, i remember you saying you don't do webers. Hopefully X chimes in.

Here's another video of just around town. The secondary doesnt open and there are a few hills. I tuned it per weber instructions but my mixture screw is still backed out too far as the instructions say.
http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/adjust.htm

What kind of idle AF am i looking for? Should i see more of a high 13 low 14 or is it gonna be more mid 12s low 13s?

https://youtu.be/dc6XxZl0BuU

Xctasy will take a PM. He's back on here (4eyed pride might B quicker?).
He sez the Manuel is a lill off. Think the H/W 5200 or webber 32/36 might B the only webber he doesn't wrk w/?
Ask him...

:unsure: Bill is the man on Ignition :mrgreen:

Right back atcha! (y) :beer:

IMHO, the first thing to fix is ignition, not jetting, air correctors or emulsion tubes. You can fiddle with fuel pressure, jets, correctors and there is some excellent work one can do on well (emulsion) tubes, but when something as simple as a secondary arm touching the manifold adaptor, or a manifold vaccum or ported vac line to the distributor, or worse, grit and shEat in the fuel system can lean out a carb under wide open throttle, you can be constantly moving back and forth. The gas leal by propane method can help set base idle, and the base idle still has the secondary barrel activated in the US Holley Weber 5200. The West Germans tuned the 2.8 2-bbl carb to suit the 104 hp 170 engine, and the way it is now is lilely to be very close.

The game changer is IMHO, the ignItion and plug heats. They change idle, transition and tip in.

When 15, I helped and Ex Ford Ford Service techncian Alan Ireland, and he said do air fuel last. Fix the ignition detail first.

I guess I have seen many of the works that are done under the sun, and a lot of intial air fuel stuff is vanity and a chasing after wind.

I'm saying don't do any other major work on the jetting first. Don't be that guy, and don't be "Putting the Cart Before the Horse "

Circumstances alter cases

Phil Irving, Australian WWII engineering techncian reponsible for the Vincent V twin Motor Bike engine, the Formula One Repco Brahbam RB620 2.5 Liter V8, and Holden Grey Repco Power head and the later Red engine PI 12 port Heron and then modified Hero Yella Terra Repco Six cylinder Cylinder head developer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Irving.

In Tunning for Speed he goes through the Weber and every other dag gam carb ever made till 1960 with eleborate jetting process,

9780600451754-uk.jpg

always after the recomended Ignition ramps are put into place first. :nod:

Check 161henry's 3 page work ethic (epic?) work with the Triple YFA Carter 300 big six powered Rat Rod.

First thing to work on is the basics

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78286&start=50

161henry":v00ncvg2 said:
Well sometimes it’s the simple things. Keep in mind I realize I need to recurve the DS2. And I have some metering rod work to do. But, I have the manual ford fuel pump with the fuel filter on it. I also installed an inline filter because the tank I used had sat a long time. I cleaned it the best I could. I noticed a leak at the inline filter so I popped it out and it was full of rusty red stuff. I replaced it and the AFR looks a lot better. I’ll look into the filter on the pump next. I ordered a fuel pressure gauge yesterday and I have a 35 gph pump in the garage if I need it. I’m guessing part of the reason I’m going lean at first is because my homemade intake has to much volume? And it takes a bit to get enough air pulling through the cards to draw fuel?? If I would have taken a stock intake and welded two pipes and flanges on it that would have been better for low end torque? Let me know if my thinking is sound or not.
Thanks
Warren

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78286&start=100

161henry":v00ncvg2 said:
Last night I had some time and I installed the lightest advance springs the kit had. I used the weights that came with the HEI distributor and now I have 20 degrees advance just off idle with max of about 32 degrees. Before when I’d step on the gas you could feel the engine lag. When the timing finally came in it felt like a set of secondaries opened up on a property tuned engine. I still have metering rod work to do but it’s a ton better than it was. Why would a recurve kit come with weights that are smaller and lighter than stock?

And this is how it goes. If you want to undo all the work you do focusing on jetting the carb, I'll tell you how to profile the emulsion tubes to fatten or lean out the air fuel ratio anywhere you like.

But the cold running verses warm running "feel" and the subtle variances in air fuel ratio are due to ignition.

Once you fix the ignition, you then will have to rework your air fuel ratios to suit.

Go back to cr_bobcat's ignition mapping of the distributor advance back in 2016 or so.

Jetting is based on having a good ignition advance curve, and the right plug heat range.

Smooth idle on the lean side of adjustment.
You have to get the secondaries open to get a true WOT A/F.

xctasy":2rofjcde said:
:unsure: Bill is the man on Ignition :mrgreen:

Right back atcha! (y) :beer:

IMHO, the first thing to fix is ignition, not jetting, air correctors or emulsion tubes. You can fiddle with fuel pressure, jets, correctors and there is some excellent work one can do on well (emulsion) tubes, but when something as simple as a secondary arm touching the manifold adaptor, or a manifold vaccum or ported vac line to the distributor, or worse, grit and shEat in the fuel system can lean out a carb under wide open throttle, you can be constantly moving back and forth. The gas leal by propane method can help set base idle, and the base idle still has the secondary barrel activated in the US Holley Weber 5200. The West Germans tuned the 2.8 2-bbl carb to suit the 104 hp 170 engine, and the way it is now is lilely to be very close.

The game changer is IMHO, the ignItion and plug heats. They change idle, transition and tip in.

When 15, I helped and Ex Ford Ford Service techncian Alan Ireland, and he said do air fuel last. Fix the ignition detail first.

I guess I have seen many of the works that are done under the sun, and a lot of intial air fuel stuff is vanity and a chasing after wind.

I'm saying don't do any other major work on the jetting first. Don't be that guy, and don't be "Putting the Cart Before the Horse "

Circumstances alter cases

Phil Irving, Australian WWII engineering techncian reponsible for the Vincent V twin Motor Bike engine, the Formula One Repco Brahbam RB620 2.5 Liter V8, and Holden Grey Repco Power head and the later Red engine PI 12 port Heron and then modified Hero Yella Terra Repco Six cylinder Cylinder head developer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Irving.

In Tunning for Speed he goes through the Weber and every other dag gam carb ever made till 1960 with eleborate jetting process,

9780600451754-uk.jpg

always after the recomended Ignition ramps are put into place first. :nod:

Check 161henry's 3 page work ethic (epic?) work with the Triple YFA Carter 300 big six powered Rat Rod.

First thing to work on is the basics

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78286&start=50

161henry":2rofjcde said:
Well sometimes it’s the simple things. Keep in mind I realize I need to recurve the DS2. And I have some metering rod work to do. But, I have the manual ford fuel pump with the fuel filter on it. I also installed an inline filter because the tank I used had sat a long time. I cleaned it the best I could. I noticed a leak at the inline filter so I popped it out and it was full of rusty red stuff. I replaced it and the AFR looks a lot better. I’ll look into the filter on the pump next. I ordered a fuel pressure gauge yesterday and I have a 35 gph pump in the garage if I need it. I’m guessing part of the reason I’m going lean at first is because my homemade intake has to much volume? And it takes a bit to get enough air pulling through the cards to draw fuel?? If I would have taken a stock intake and welded two pipes and flanges on it that would have been better for low end torque? Let me know if my thinking is sound or not.
Thanks
Warren

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78286&start=100

161henry":2rofjcde said:
Last night I had some time and I installed the lightest advance springs the kit had. I used the weights that came with the HEI distributor and now I have 20 degrees advance just off idle with max of about 32 degrees. Before when I’d step on the gas you could feel the engine lag. When the timing finally came in it felt like a set of secondaries opened up on a property tuned engine. I still have metering rod work to do but it’s a ton better than it was. Why would a recurve kit come with weights that are smaller and lighter than stock?

And this is how it goes. If you want to undo all the work you do focusing on jetting the carb, I'll tell you how to profile the emulsion tubes to fatten or lean out the air fuel ratio anywhere you like.

But the cold running verses warm running "feel" and the subtle variances in air fuel ratio are due to ignition.

Once you fix the ignition, you then will have to rework your air fuel ratios to suit.

Go back to cr_bobcat's ignition mapping of the distributor advance back in 2016 or so.

Jetting is based on having a good ignition advance curve, and the right plug heat range.
I hoped i could get away with the carb first before the dizzy since its my daily.

When i do my disk brakes the car will be down a few days so that might be the time to get the dizzy curved. I am running a nice set of plugs, i got the iridium ones from NAPA. I don't know the heat of them but i can surely check.

I know the fuel system is pretty clean. I hosed out the gas tank 2 years ago, replaced the sending unit and filter. Replaced the inline filter. And its got a 2 year old fuel pump on it with a filter in it. So I'd say its pretty clean.

One thing that i can possibly do is open up the fuel pressure a little bit, that might help the WOT. I'm running 3psi, should i go to 4psi? I heard these carbs dont like a lot of pressure

Thanks as always,
Ryan

wsa111":hdg7ifh2 said:
Smooth idle on the lean side of adjustment.
You have to get the secondaries open to get a true WOT A/F.
For this last test i was just trying to get the idle circuit tuned first before i screw with the power circuit. How'd it look in the video?

answer: It pretty much worked (showed where the acc. peddle was & corresponding gauge response). That wuz good technique...
I'd just say - 1) smoother (longer duration) transitions; 2) staying in each segment longer (ie WOT, Idle, transitions) - both so we could have opportunity 2 C . U spent too lill time in each for me to tell. But I'm just 1 guy...
(y)

Its official guys, the dizzy needs to be recurved.

I just swapped out the primary air jet from a 190 to a 160 (it means it will run richer at higher rpms as compared to the 190). Seemed to fix my WOT issue of going lean. I got it to about 12.5ish and it still pings, but just a little on a hill. That is with 12°BTDC. So this is definitely a distributor thing now.

On a side note
When not on a hill, man does this thing pull! Can't wait to get my T5 in it!

The dizzy came with some extra springs when i got it, i would need looser springs right?

What octane fuel are you using? What is your cranking compression with the throttle wide open??
As far as you changing springs, you are in an area beyond your knowledge.
You need your distributor done by a professional.
To start what are all the specs on your engine??

wsa111":15mpqhqs said:
What octane fuel are you using? What is your cranking compression with the throttle wide open??
As far as you changing springs, you are in an area beyond your knowledge.
You need your distributor done by a professional.
To start what are all the specs on your engine??
I use 87 octane which may be my issue.

Don't know in compressions, I've never checked since it runs good.

Ok i won't touch it then.

It should be all stock internally. I got the VI funnel adapter for the weber, CRT PERFORMANCE HEI with iridium plugs, with a 65 3.03 toploader 3spd, and a 2.8 Ford 8".

I'll check compression ratio next time I'm at my dad's, so tuesday.

Back