First time cam degree questions

63falconATX

Thanks for your help fellas.

Building up the short block and working on degree'ing the cam. A brand new ClaySmith 274H 110*. My intention was to advance 2* but decided to initially install/degree with no advance to see where we're at.

I used a piston stop and am very confident in TDC verified by dial gauge. Using the centerline method described here ci/CamDegree.html and always rotating forward I have confirmed multiple times 107.5*. I even pulled it all off and reset TDC and am still coming up 156+59/2=107.5*.

My confusion/question, I thought this method(on a straight up cam) would be the same as the lobe center(110) and while I understand these cams can be off, is 2.5* in the usual margin of error? And if so and I was looking for 2* advance(108*), should/could I just leave well enough alone and see how it runs?

Cheers!

You are using a solid lifter right...I would check my work by checking the intake and exhaust open and closing points according to the cam card at .050 or what ever they spec out...If it matches the center line method, send it.

Hi, I had a post in August about my cam timing issue. The post is 3 pages old.
With help from guys on this forum, I used the cam degree style that Echo in his videos clearly shows.
My comp cam was coming in @ 10* retarded and I needed the adjustable crank sprocket timing chain set from Vintage Inline to get it on the money.
The new timing chain set from comp cams is off. It is garbage.
You can get it on the money with an adjustable crank gear.
And you should not settle for close.
Good luck

Yup, I read that thread. Sounded like a real nightmare. For my money .5* off desired on an install where the acceptable range is 4*...(from straight up to +4)... still weighing this.

B RON CO":2k23b6i2 said:
With help from guys on this forum, I used the cam degree style that Echo in his videos clearly shows.
My comp cam was coming in @ 10* retarded and I needed the adjustable crank sprocket timing chain set from Vintage Inline to get it on the money.
Good luck

Good idea.

B RON CO":1d4ph9jc said:
Good luck

For the record I spoke with Clay Smith cams tech guy this AM. They apparently grind their cams as close to +2* as possible as opposed to the references of "straight up" we read about in the archives. I've verified opening points and am very happy with 107.5*. Time to button up the short block.

we get all kinda reports, manafactures tell us different things, oddities have surfaced.

All Ways degree a cam, don't rely on hearsay. Know as fact.

My co. (Comp Cams) is known to B ground w/advance in. I wanted to C 4 myself...
Then, in the multitude of issues w/an automotive system, I knew abt this factor.
Much easier to deal w/@ this time than any other...

Back