2.3 HSC Heads

aPanzerIV

I have read about someone putting 351C heads on a six. How about the HSC motor, it's almost identical to our 200, and I'm sure sequential fuel injection could be had with not too much difficulty (3.8 computer, 2.3 intake chopped, and a tune). Could be a less expensive and more reasonable alternative to the aluminum head.

Anyone have the audacity or budget to try this out?

we have a buncha threads on going fi w/the i6...
Is that what U mean?

Like to C a 351 head ona i6. Not sure what's meant there.
Lotta machinin I guess. The NE has machine shops in every 5th town...

aPanzerIV":3aria8h3 said:
I have read about someone putting 351C heads on a six. How about the HSC motor, it's almost identical to our 200, and I'm sure sequential fuel injection could be had with not too much difficulty (3.8 computer, 2.3 intake chopped, and a tune). Could be a less expensive and more reasonable alternative to the aluminum head.

Anyone have the audacity or budget to try this out?

I think you could do it. Grab the later E8 to F1 heads, and You'd chop at No 1 and No 4, and add another number one and four cylinder. So its totally doable.

Port phasing on the 2.3 and 2.5 is all the same as the center ports on the 200 non cross flow small six, but its missing the outer cylinders.

all12932-4_1280x851_.jpg

xctasy":7v7mzbxg said:
I think you could do it. Grab the later E8 to F1 heads, and You'd chop at No 1 and No 4, and add another number one and four cylinder. So its totally doable.

Port phasing on the 2.3 and 2.5 is all the same as the center ports on the 200 non cross flow small six, but its missing the outer cylinders.

all12932-4_1280x851_.jpg

Does this mean we wouldn't even need a custom exhaust? Just re use our factory/aftermarket manifolds potentially?

x is right, it can be done, but you must be very careful with your measurements as to where to cut each head, and then you must have then furnace welded together and fully machined to make sure all the gasket surfaces are properly square and flat. one other thing to consider is that you will have to make your own headers, as well as your own intake most likely. if you are just wanting to add EFI then consider that the bungs are available to install fuel injectors. you need to make your own fuel rails, etc. as for the control system, i would go with the megasquirt system. it is a proven system that you can either buy fully built, or you can buy the kit and build it yourself. either way you also get the fun of tuning it as well. check out this site for more information;

https://www.diyautotune.com/

they have several versions, as well as lots of information available, and a forum where even more information is available.

X3 I agree that this is entirely possible and you could end up with a very good performing head, it sounds like it could be a fun project. I doubt seriously though that you would actually save any money over getting the Aluminum head unless you had all the equipment and the skill level to do all or most of the required work yourself. Not only would the head require extensive work to section weld and machine / rebuild. Then needed would be the custom one off intake, the EFI parts, it's control system unless you went with a carb, and an exhaust manifold / header. Good luck on your build up, please take lots of pictures and update us on your progress. (y) :nod:

B 4 I read the link...I can imagine the pistons'n c-rods but what about the cam'n crank?

Econoline":2lqz4r87 said:
63falconATX":2lqz4r87 said:
lets make a straight 8

Yeah! A "Fast Burn" Sequential MPFI'd Straight 8 :)

I thought all the 2.3 and 2.5 head's were iron

They are, and the aftermrket heads sold thru Allied Motor Parts are as well.

That's the Cylinder Head for the OHV Ford 2.3L 140ci HSC E8 F1 1988 - 1994.

I'm kicking myself for wrong info....back in 2003, the Gr8Tim and I had the same discussion, but I wrongly thought the HSC/HSO 2.3 and HSO 2.5 had symetrical ports like the alloy head crossflow, Inlet, exhaust etc etc, I got it wrong.

Another 4.08 inch bore center engine was the 9 and 12 port Holden 2.8 and 3.3. They injected the 3.3, and also loped two cylinders off to become the famed Holden Starfire 4 and Phase 2 XT5 1.9 four cylinder.

The port phasing was odd on those.Here is a four cylinder Holden 1900 with the 3.3 liter six cylinders EFI intake on it.

post-19430-0-44076100-1430904966_thumb.jpg

Ports are like this.

965BC492-2AA7-4B9D-A27A-AC02F79A8A96-2586-000002B78F40748C_zps6307270b.jpg

The American Erika HSC is mapped out a differnt way.

"...lets make a straight 8..."
wish somebody still did.

Back