Balancer/damper

63falconATX

I'm pretty convinced I know the answer but I'm going to ask anyway.

If the balancer was removed with a 3 point puller via the pulley, is it assumed suspect and should not go back on the engine?

Cheers!

Yeah not the right practice pulling from the pulley instead of the hub, but It all depends on how much force it took to pull it off.

ck the rubber 4 tears.
I've never heard of a testing proceedure but have put on ele drill to watch the spin.
$70 dollars is not alot 4 a customer but is for me.

63falconATX":2gqs6l20 said:
Thanks bubba, it came off without too much struggle but live and learn. Not with the risk I recon.

Ok in that case I would likely go ahead and run it they are quite robust, in the worse case you might have to replace someday. Good luck (y) :nod:

Hi, if the outer if the outer ring did not move from the inner hub, and the pulley groove is not damaged, I'd say you got away with it.
Good luck

A visual inspection didn't say much so I chucked it up in the lathe where I could measure runout. Though I have no way to get it concentric to the chuck(grabbing the snout in a 3 jaw) I was able to compare runout of the hub vs. the pulley on each side of the bond line. The difference is .011".

I have no idea what the tolerance is on these old inlines but that sounds like a lot. New balancer as far as I'm concerned.

"...no way to get it concentric to the chuck(grabbing the snout in a 3 jaw)…"
use a simple $2 edge finder

chad":1ot80g1f said:
"...no way to get it concentric to the chuck(grabbing the snout in a 3 jaw)…"
use a simple $2 edge finder

it’s not so much concentricity but rather off axis. An edge finder can't really help here. It certainly will tell you you’re off, maybe, but can’t help correct in a 3jaw chuck. At least not in my shop.

This is why I just went for the delta between the 2 closest points on each side of the bond line.

It sounds like it is good enough, run it. (y)
Check for dings in the seal area, should be able to see where it runs.

Back