Autolite 1100 power vent rod

Ragman069

I recently purchased an Autolite 1100 carb that was used on a '63 Fairlane 170 ci engine. The power vent rod was removed by the owner. He says he has been a mechanic for 46 years and was a Ford tech for twenty something of those years. He claims the power vent rod is not really a necessary piece for the carb. He says many rebuilders remove it and plug the opening on the top of the fuel bowl. Any thoughts or opinions on this? My '62 Fairlane came with the Holley 1909 and I bought the Autolite to see if it performs any better.

Thanks for the help and support.

Never ran one without it. Never seen one plugged off.

Sure you can be a mechanic for 46 years, and from some of the guys I've run across and have had as customers, you can also be an idiot for 50 years.

The guy on the line installing tail lights all day every day is also a Ford tech.

"ran when parked" "doesn't use oil" "never gave me any issues" "ran it that way for years" etc......

MANY builders remove them? Google search only comes up with a couple posts about blocking it off, with poor to bad results. Second hand carbs with out the vent rod, idle, tuning and running issues.

Back