Crossflow 250 Head Swap

Hey - i'm new here, but I was wondering what modification is needed for an Australian crossflow 250 head to fit on a US 250 block? I know it's possible, just not sure what I need. Thanks -Paul

there was a huge evolution (ie 14 different models '60 - '79) between models (10/'70 XY, X-A, X-B,X-C) till when the '80 alu x-flow was developed. Many here use the "Oz 2V" head as it is easier to adapt to our motors (rocker assmbly, VC, headers all fit). The Oz cross flow itself needs an adapter plate bolted up and is not a direct match.

VI dot com (1 of our members, Matt) has followed up w/an alu x-flow being currently cast for a direct fit to the USA falcon i6 engine. The developer, Mike W, also developed this (ford6) on-line site.

chad":340u5uu9 said:
there was a huge evolution (ie 14 different models '60 - '79) between models (10/'70 XY, X-A, X-B,X-C) till when the '80 alu x-flow was developed. Many here use the "Oz 2V" head as it is easier to adapt to our motors (rocker assmbly, VC, headers all fit). The Oz cross flow itself needs an adapter plate bolted up and is not a direct match.

VI dot com (1 of our members, Matt) has followed up w/an alu x-flow being currently cast for a direct fit to the USA falcon i6 engine. The developer, Mike W, also developed this (ford6) on-line site.

:shock: Well Except for just one thing! The Australian 2V head plus the Aluminum 2V head (based on the Oz. 2V head) that Mike developed and still continues on today as the V. I. Aluminun 2V head. These are not an X (or Cross) Flow head they are U Flow heads i.e. The intake and exhaust are both on the same side. :nod:

"... intake and exhaust are both on the same side..."
o0OP, granted. Sorry. I lump em all together as 'out of reach 4 me" ($).

I still recommend the:
"...Many here use the "Oz 2V" head as it is easier to adapt..."
C costs v flow bench results on CI archive.

Thnx 4 the correction bubs !

It really doesnt look like its uber difficult. Not easy but it definitely looks like something anyone whose a little daring could do.

Anyone know what shipping is roughly from Australia for that head? This is something I'd definitely consider.

StarDiero75":3g7520ze said:
Anyone know what shipping is roughly from Australia for that head?
ask Jack (in Fla) our member who did that. Isint it his article U looked @?

StarDiero75":385wzyox said:
Anyone know what shipping is roughly from Australia for that head? This is something I'd definitely consider.

I'm not sure, but I might have one shipped from overseas, that's why I was asking .. let me ask and i'll get back to you

StarDiero75":s0ipjndg said:
It really doesnt look like its uber difficult. Not easy but it definitely looks like something anyone whose a little daring could do.

I've purchased several Crossflow heads before from Oz. Shipping is a little over $300. There is no method cheaper than that.

The cam for the US 250 will not work, so you will also have to purchase a Crossflow cam.
If you're not good at fabricating, you will also have to purchase an intake and exhaust manifold.

A Crossflow head is just under the weight limit before it gets really expensive.

I wanted to ship a Crossflow crank from Australia, but it was over $400.
Didn't want it that bad.

Also the valve cover for the US 250 won't work on the Crossflow head, so if you can't fabricate one, there's another expense.

You'll also need a head and valve cover gasket.

So I would think the head is probably the single hardest/most expensive piece to get. Everything else can be gotten through Aussie Speed Parts. They might get a better deal shipping for the cheaper stuff like intakes, headers, and valve covers.

Guys,

This looks like someone made a DOHC work on a 200 using the crossflow DOHC head. The block doesnt look like it fits the block naturally, which is making me think this is our 200. Look at all the bolts and crap of where our stuff is. This is one nasty build if so. And the sound is godly.

https://youtu.be/qDqAxiJKBO8

(bottom line is Y Mike came up w/the Classic Inlines alu head)

KYMav250":2af3cf3n said:
After all the parts and pieces cost ends up being similar to a Barra.

If you could get one.
Right now it's not legal to import a Barra engine into the US and run it on the highway.
You can import one if used off-road, for racing, or for research.
Any engine 25 years of age or older can be imported, the same as 25 year old cars.

StarDiero75":37y1vis9 said:
Guys,

This looks like someone made a DOHC work on a 200 using the crossflow DOHC head. The block doesnt look like it fits the block naturally, which is making me think this is our 200. Look at all the bolts and crap of where our stuff is. This is one nasty build if so. And the sound is godly.

https://youtu.be/qDqAxiJKBO8

That head was actually developed by an Aussie guy named Bob Krogdahl. It took him 20 years to design, refine and build this DOHC, hemispherical, crossflow design twin spark plug cylinder head. It could be installed on either the Ford pre-crossflow, or Holden 6 cylinder engine since they both had the same 4.080" bore spacing. Here's a write up on the Aussiespeed website:
http://www.aussiespeed.com/krogdahl-cylinder-heads/

Here's a video of one on a Holden engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoS_yYmpxpw

If you look at both videos, you'll notice the intake and exhaust manifolds are on opposite sides of the Ford and Holden engines. The head was designed so the cams and gears could be flipped end to end depending on which engine it was installed on.

If you search the internets, there is a video of an Australian Ford alloy Crossflow head installed on a Holden engine. The head is switched and heavily modified to fit on the Holden six.

... developed by an Aussie guy named Bob Krogdahl. It took him 20 years to design,... It could be installed on either the Ford pre-crossflow, or Holden 6 cylinder engine ... intake and exhaust manifolds are on opposite sides of the Ford and Holden engines. The head was designed so the cams and gears could be flipped end to end depending on which engine it was installed on.

Krogdahl Head fit Ford and GM (Holden) applications ,that is really something impressive and noteworthy.

have fun

That is a custom built hemi head? That is so sick i can't believe it. I can't stop replaying that video. It sounds so mean

Back