exhaust size suggestions

dawhite64

hey guys, looking for knowledge and/or suggestions for exhaust size for my '64 Fairlane.. 200cu. turbo'd.. any gain from putting in a y-pipe or just keep it a single all the way back?

thanks !

Since all the exhaust already has to go through the turbo the exhaust restriction will be the size of the turbo there will be no benefit of going any larger or adding additional piping. So if your turbo has a 2.5 inch exhaust outlet then either keep it a single 2.5 inch or depending on RPM and power output stepping in down might increase torque but it would not be suggested to go much smaller than the outlet size of the turbo itself within reason. Obviously the larger the outlet of the turbo the more room you have to work with.

2 me a "Y pipe" means 6 -to- 2 - (Y) - to one all the way back; rather than 6 to 2 all the way back.
That's a long run to choose one or two (inc mufflers, resinators or whatever U do back there). I am
not familiar w/all the variations w/non-NA induction. We got a forum for that:

viewforum.php?f=22

where U may wanna ck-in w/the experts...
I have the ss CI header, will find a ssY, have a sm turbo muffler I'll tuck
as hi as possible & go out in frnt of the rear tire -but- this is all for off rd protection.
It will all B the same sz as those headers (but also a very short run)...

Howdy dawhite64:

First a few questions, what is the diameter of the exhaust pipe that leaves the turbo? What is the inner diameter of the turbo outlet? I'd match that dimension for head and tailpipe.

Adding a Y pipe to simulate dual exhaust at the rear bumper will only add weight. There is the appearance of dual exhaust, for looks, but no performance increase.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth. With that done, I'd sure like to know more about your engine and car. Maybe a photo.

Adios, David

Back