HEI distributor for 200 I6

Hi, I got my new HEI for my 200 from was111 on this site. We discussed the engine, gears, and about my Bronco, it is a lot heavier than a Falcon. Then he set up a high quality HEI for me.
I would not run the cheapest distributor I could find. I feel my new HEI could last forever.
The distributor works great, I am very happy with it.
Wsa111 also works on Ford Duraspark ignitions, which are very good.
Good luck

krico123":1l461mk6 said:
was wondering what HEI distributor and coil combo you would recommend for A ford 200 I6
none. Instead: oe '77+ DSII if having '65 + block'n '68 + ignit&carb. (y)

What do U have?
What do U wanna achieve?
(Q is "what would U recommend")

Hi, I forgot to mention there is a difference between early and late systems. What year you have makes a bit of a difference. Good luck

chad":21ebmsvx said:
krico123":21ebmsvx said:
was wondering what HEI distributor and coil combo you would recommend for A ford 200 I6
none. Instead: oe '77+ DSII if having '65 + block'n '68 + ignit&carb. (y)

What do U have?
What do U wanna achieve?
(Q is "what would U recommend")

What do i have is a 1968 ford 200 inline 6
what do i want to make 500 WHP with a turbo this is just the start of a long list of thing i want to do and thought this would be a good place to start

krico123":1zkn2shz said:
what do i want to make 500 WHP with a turbo this is just the start of a long list of thing i want to do and thought this would be a good place to start
For a high HP turbo system you need an ignition system that will retard the timing as the boost is increased.
An MSD 6AL-2 programmable part# 6530 is one that I have used.

You can use it with any magnetic or hall effect pickup distributor provided you lock out the mechanical and vacuum advance.
For even better accuracy you can install the 3 point wheel on the harmonic balancer with a pickup coil.

If you are going to use an EFI system, which is highly recommended, then the system will control the timing.
Then you have the option of eliminating the distributor and get rid of the rotor phasing problem I dislike very much.

krico123":3spavc1u said:
What do i have is a 1968 ford 200 inline 6

It will be difficult to achieve 500WHP with a 200cid. Maybe not impossible, just difficult.

Here's a link to dyno runs on 200s and 250s of various builds:
ci/DynoRoom-2.html
Pay attention to Dyno #1A, and Dyno #5.

Dyno #1A is a 250 with a Classic Inlines alloy head running 16lbs of boost with a mix of race octane and E85.
423RWHP @ 4500rpm, 502RWTQ @ 2650rpm.

Dyno #5 is a 250 bored and stroked to 273cid, modified cast iron head running 18lbs of boost.
445RWHP @ 4300rpm, 499RWTQ @ 4950rpm.

As the old saying goes "Speed costs money. How fast can you afford?"

In response to previous post #7, you will notice that the HP and Torque numbers occur at fairly low rpm.
One of the reasons is because of the short valves in the stock head as well as the alloy head.
The short valves prevent the use of the taller spings with higher spring rates needed for high rpm operation.
Valve lift is also limited.
With longer valves and the right valve springs you can use a cam profile with more lift and duration and rev the 200 six to 7000 rpm and be able to easily make 500 WHP with reasonable boost.
Here is the discussion on the topic.
viewtopic.php?p=601388#p601388

Back