170 Temp Gauge sensor

bluesboy

I have a 62 Falcon with a 170 . I want to install an aftermarket temp gauge. I picked up a mechanical gauge and the stock sensor gauge hole is too small for the bulb sensor to fit. I can find no other location for this sensor on the engine. I wondered if an electric aftermarket would have a smaller diameter sensor tip. Can anyone help me? Thanks

I had a mechanical temp gauge on my '63 threaded into a later style thermostat housing with a lager thread. If you end up doing this, just make sure the bulb doesn't contact or damage the thermostat. Probably not as accurate as an in-head sender, due to being after the thermostat.

Don't know about size of aftermarket electrical sender, but i think an Auto Meter 2385 is the right size. Depends on what comes with the gauge. May be able to use the stock sender with some electrical gauges.

Hi, are you using the temp sender location at the back of the cylinder head in the left corner?
Mine is big enough for the aftermarket sender.
Good luck

B RON CO. The early 170 heads have a smaller hole than your 66. Also what year waterneck would have a place for a sensor ?
Thanks for all the replies.

"...what year waterneck would have a place for a sensor ?..."
C 'our bud' Matt @ VI dot com...his havea bung ready to B drilled/tapped 2 any size. I believe his is on the top side makin it a lill easier too. Most I C R on bottom?

All thermo housings (my name) R not created equal? (ie yrs &/or i6 displacement variant? I don't mean 250, 240/300/4.9).
Thnx BB (or other respondent).

OK, so on my 170 the factory temp sensor is in the head at the back, but i put my electric sensor for my after market gauge into the new style water outlet i picked up from my local parts store, ill find the number but most aftermarket electrical sensors are much smaller in diameter and they include bushings to step up size if needed. I always prefer electric gauges when it comes to temp sensors. Mechanical tends to be less accurate. Pressure is a toss up those tend to be pretty accurate either way but id rather run wire than an oil line and constantly worry about a leak.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/do ... tlet&pos=1

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/mu ... tlet&pos=0

you might be able to find it local with the part numbers from someone else

The early 170 heads have a smaller hole than your 66. Also what year waterneck would have a place for a sensor ?

.. never figured out which year / application outlets have the depression in them and yet others are tapped and plugged . When possible I add a mechanical temp gauge with the OEM electric sensor. (the 'idiot lite' is not entirely out of place in my car... )

PS , the alum' water outlets are tapped for PIPE THREAD (NPT) not a common machine tap .

have fun

looks like there's 2 sizes after all...

https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... -housing-1

his bung seems on the (correct) top side.
Anything U get can B bushed for correct threads I'd imagine.

Sorry, no jack intended, do not answ if off topic.
Y would one choose a 170*, 185 or 190* temp over anyother thermostat?
Some guys change summer/winter. I've never needed anything special, just
whatever they give me at purchase...

Back