Should I get an MSD 6A?

Just_Fare

Hey everyone,

While I've my '66 Fairlane in storage my mind is always thinking about what to do next season, and I already have a few slated modifications (to be shared in future threads). One potential mod suggested to me by my mechanic who does some of my engine work was to get an MSD box (as he calls it). Now I've noticed that quite a few members here list MSD in their signatures so I know that some of you use them. The MSD website does a good job of selling them but I was hoping to get some anecdotal endorsements or condemnations from the members here before making a decision. I'm running a 200ci block with a '78 250 head, Carter RBS carb and an HEI distributor. Is the MSD 6A the way to go or is it simply an additional layer of complexity to deal with?

I always appreciate your advise,

CC

The MSD units do essentially what all electronic ignition systems due which is modify the signal from the distributor before it reachs the coil. In most cases it amplifies the signal, and depending on the box will offer adaptive dwell control, advance or retard timing based off RPM and or boost, and provide a rpm limiter via the ignition. For high performance setups they are highly recommended, but if you already have a DSII then the vast majority of this is already done with the current system. Now if you dont have one and want to really build up your engine they are hard to beat. I personally do not run on in my car currently but as there is a turbo in the future i will be getting a 6BTM which is made to change timing as boost is applied.

good 2 C U again. Y R U considering it? What change (disatisfaction) do U have?

For me it's expensive'n looks a lill too modern under there, but I feel the same w/an hei dizzy so....
8^ )
DSII dizzy ('77 + I think), the oe ford module (or blue strain relief box, '77+), and standard coil fits in my scheme. I'm thinkin of and HEI 4 pin rather than the ford box, w/coil upgrade if havin component failiar in the future.

I belive due to ur '66 motor U have the lrger dizzy/oil pump hole & can use the upgraded prts (as U have w/the dizzy).

Howdy Back Just_Fare and All:

I've forgotten what your planned use is for this engine. Please remind me. The MSD best claim to fame is a Multi Spark Discharge for more complete combustion. Is that something you need to achieve your goals? I would go for a distributor mechanical advance recurve to match my engine first. Just a thought.

Adios, David

If you had the DS11 distributor the MSD-6al is a great option.
Don't waste your money to add one to the HEI or DUI.
CZLN6 stated a recurve is the best thing you could do to your HEI.
If you did not purchase one from me your curve is out to lunch. could even damage your engine if over advanced. Bill

Okay so the general consensus is that I should stay with what I have. My mechanic seemed to think that the MSD would improve the fuel economy of the car and that is one of my goals. It's simply a daily driver, gets me to work, the beach, etc. At the end of the fall I had racked over 4000 miles and got a solid 25 mpg of combined city and hi-way driving. Mind you what passes for hi-ways on the island I live on are more like windy, hilly country roads.

wsa111 - I did not buy the distributor from you, I purchased an HEI distributor based on the information that I read on the Classic Inlines site and regrettably their literature omitted any details about recurving by you. I will talk to my engine guy and see if he performed any recurving. I wouldn't be surprised if he did as he's quite a competent and relatively well known vintage car builder (no name dropping here). With that in mind I may purchase a distributor from you in the future.

Thanks to all,

CC

25 MPGs is good to excelent for a 250/4.1.
We have a thread (or doz) on increasing mpg & even a member
(less active now) w/that name who had some good tips.

2 me most performance upgrades get better MPGs as well.
Ever think of the upstream (wideband) O2/guage 2 read
in a bung @ exhaust/header? I'd like to C how hi U could get...
(y)

chad":3kq4t7pm said:
25 MPGs is good to excelent for a 250/4.1.
We have a thread (or doz) on increasing mpg & even a member
(less active now) w/that name who had some good tips.

2 me most performance upgrades get better MPGs as well.
Ever think of the upstream (wideband) O2/guage 2 read
in a bung @ exhaust/header? I'd like to C how hi U could get...
(y)
An A/F Tester is a wise move.
Summit has some listed it their catalog.

Just_Fare":1qwi2bgy said:
Okay so the general consensus is that I should stay with what I have. My mechanic seemed to think that the MSD would improve the fuel economy of the car and that is one of my goals. It's simply a daily driver, gets me to work, the beach, etc. At the end of the fall I had racked over 4000 miles and got a solid 25 mpg of combined city and hi-way driving. Mind you what passes for hi-ways on the island I live on are more like windy, hilly country roads.

wsa111 - I did not buy the distributor from you, I purchased an HEI distributor based on the information that I read on the Classic Inlines site and regrettably their literature omitted any details about recurving by you. I will talk to my engine guy and see if he performed any recurving. I wouldn't be surprised if he did as he's quite a competent and relatively well known vintage car builder (no name dropping here). With that in mind I may purchase a distributor from you in the future.

Thanks to all,

CC

since you have the HEI, dont bother with the msd 6a box. and since this is a daily driver, unless you were starting over with the ignition, and even if you were, i would not recommend spending the money on the msd ignition boxes anyway for a daily driver. the factory style ignition boxes do quite well for that application. savet eh msd boxes for more serious applications, like a healthy street/strip machine or a race car.

if however you think you really need to upgrade to an msd ignition, msd does make a module for the gm style hei system.

I will start a new post on HEI or DUI modules.

Back