engine rebuilding

rustywagon

Hi guys, what's an average cost of engine rebuild. 3.3L. If there's anyone in bay area who does it, please let me know. So far no luck. Thank you, Michal

It was about 3 years ago when I did my 200.

For the short block I have about $500. into machine shop labor. that's bore, turning the crank decking the block, pressing the rods on the pistons and balancing. I spent about $400 in parts, including ARP rod bolts. I have $300 total into the head, that includes 1.75" intake valves fit into the 1968 head. I assembled it myself

Attachments

• ford 200.jpg
    ford 200.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 172
bill pierce":bk2gqn48 said:
It was about 3 years ago when I did my 200.
For the short block I have about $500. into machine shop labor. that's bore, turning the crank decking the block, pressing the rods on the pistons and balancing. I spent about $400 in parts, including ARP rod bolts. I have $300 total into the head, that includes 1.75" intake valves fit into the 1968 head. I assembled it myself
WELCOME Bill !!!
Rusty, Double ck our "machinest recommendation' forum for ur gepgraphic area.

viewforum.php?f=50

R U in the frisco area, rusty's there somewhere?
$1200 aint bad for the city / or that hi cost of living area...

HOwdy Back Michal:

It will depend greatly on what your engine needs to be brought back, and what you want as an end project. Do you have a end plan for this engine?

Prices will also vary depending on location. IIWIYS, I'd spend some time visiting machine shops in your area and I'd be looking for an old school type shop with an operator with a little gray in his hair and a fondness for older engines.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

PS- thanks for the photo Bill. Nice job.

Adios, David

I am not sure how many miles are on engine, previous owner said more than 200 000 miles.
It runs (car is my daily driver), but it smokes, pressure on all cylinders is evenly low.
I will ask around, there are few mechanics working on classic cars I know.
I am not looking to boost performance, just full rebuild.
Just wanted to know what to roughly expect.
Thank you.

As much as you want to spend.

My head will cost around $400. Thats new everything + larger valves.

Cam and associated parts will run $250+.

Block work $500.

Rolling assembly, I dont know yet but Im guessing $400-$500, depending on if I want new rods.

My guestimate is $2500 + exhaust + carb.

"...what to roughly expect…."
really depends on ur area of country, local pop density, # of machinests.
Do U have the Handbook?
The min recommended there in my area (w/in 25 mi radius R 3 auto-machine shops) we're fairly rural
$1800
C tech archive above (click on crossed screwdriver/wrench) Class II job.
C the classes of wrk'n what they mean in archive, have some knowledge of specifics U want. Go to a shop w/a lill understanding. Advocate for what U want. Otherwise U have a situation where they tell U what they will do. U get what U get - which is (kinda) OK. Many R not familiar w/an ol i6. Or what we need/want. Guy w/30 yrs experience ordered wrong timing set (it wuz what wuz listed 4 it) & needed me to get him unstuck. Do ur due dillegence, 'roughly' may (or may not) B goodnuff…

We're here to help (y)

I checked list of recommended machinists in here, closest is about 2h fro me, I will call him.
I replaced old carb, the autolite 1100 never worked properly, I had it professionally rebuilt twice... I am very happy with replacement.
I can handle new exhaust.
I sent email to 3 machine shops in my area, I will post when I get answers.

When all is said'n done plez place an assessment of the wrkin relationship, price'n wrkmanship of the shop in our 'machinest forum' if U would b so kind...
U don't have a geo location in ur sig…
Where R U located?
:unsure:

I got first estimate, it's $3.5 - 4k. It's bit more than I thought

What's the correct way to check cylinder(s) pressure?
I checked it, it was evenly low on all 6, but I am not sure, if I did it the right way, I want to check it again.
I keep looking. Thank you.

May B not 4 ur location.
Due yer due dilligence - know what U need/want - tell them.
This way U can compaire apples to apples w/each shop.

Otherwise U hafta ask for an "estimate" & have them write it all dwn, they don't wanna do that (effort, time consuming).
An 'estimate' is non-legally binding. A "quote" is.

rustywagon":2lhrg4te said:
I got first estimate, it's $3.5 - 4k. It's bit more than I thought

What's the correct way to check cylinder(s) pressure?
I checked it, it was evenly low on all 6, but I am not sure, if I did it the right way, I want to check it again.
I keep looking. Thank you.

:unsure: Yeah that price seams quite extreme for a stock rebuild.

Ok here is a good way of doing a compression test.
1. Warm up the engine
2. Pull out all the spark plugs
3. Install the gauge in first cylinder
4. Remove air cleaner and make sure the choke is open then hold or tie the throttle lever wide open
5. Crank the engine over with a remote starter switch, watch for the highest reading on the gauge. When the needle quits moving any higher stop cranking, usually this take about 10 to 15 seconds or around 10 compleate revolution's.
6. Write down the test result
7. Move to next cylinder and repeate the process
Good luck (y) :nod:

again, no thing is listed as to what, where, when, how that wrk would B done.
How can we compair? All supposition w/o detail...
ie big city, Class III or IV work/parts, w/in one wk, assembly & break in?
:unsure::

The estimate was $3,5k for full rebuild, incl. pulling out engine and installing back. $500 if hoses and other related parts if needed to be replaced. I live in Bay Area, California. Thank you for SJ link and all input.

another estimate arrived"
........Some variables, ballpark price on something like this drive in and drive out is about $6000 for the complete job.....

Your estimates seem outrageous, even for the Bay area. I'm in Cincinnati, my machinist quoted me $1k for machine work and re-assembly.

Cheers,
Matthew

Do you know anyone one with a pickup?And a cherry picker?Could you do any of the work yourself?
Right now,no one knows your skill level.Mechanics and machinists just love deep pockets and no knowledge.
I hope you don't think I'm being abusive.The more you can do yourself,the less it will cost.

:shock: Sounds like someone`s machinist is trying to get the mine,while the customer gets the shaft.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Back