What changed between 1960 and all other 144 engines?

falcon_master

Hey everyone. Searching around a really cool site that has a huge list of specifications for our cars and detailed acceleration and top speed reviews. Well I was looking st how pathetically slow mine is 0-60 in 16.7 seconds top speed of 82 mph. But I noticed that 1960 144s were rated for 90HP but 61 and afterwards are 85HP yet all the specs remain the same like compression ratio and configuration. Because according to this site a 1960 falcon with a 144 3spd will do 0-60 in 15.4 second a full second faster. Is it possible to regain this 5hp I know it’s not a big deal but with this anemic thing every HP counts. One things I was thinking is if I reall wanna keep it looking original engine I can take my 144 and make it a 170 but keep the 64 casting code and 4 main block. It would be impossible to tell. Thanks everyone just curious what changed between 1960 and all the other years because my car is Chevy Chevette levels of slow.

I think your best bet is to find a 200, build that and then just store the original motor after the swap (y) .

Econoline":2dwlv6y2 said:
I think your best bet is to find a 200, build that and then just store the original motor after the swap (y) .
make it '66 plus'n put in the DSII plus an autoite 2100, frnt discs, shelby drop, T5 transmish...

I've all ways said Turbo the 144s!
6 Keihien carbs?
Wikipedia:
The 144 cu in (2.4 L) inline-six engine was first introduced in the 1960 Ford Falcon. The 144 was made from 1960 through 1964 and averaged 90 hp (67 kW) during the production run. While not known for being powerful or a stout engine, it proved to be economical and could get fairly good gas mileage for the time (up to 30 mpg). This small six was the basis for all the Ford "Falcon" straight-six engines.

only a 5 yr run. C what U can dig up in commetman's mag articles on this forum's Index page. Follow AK Miller's ideas there (if any specific 2 it)...

I am inclined to believe hp numbers were produced by the marketing department at Fomoco. And 0-60 times were different as cars could be tested at the strip, and some may not have been, at various altitudes, state of tune or mistune, quality of gas and so on.
The least painful and easiest option as already stated is to get a 200 and if you are fortunate you will find a solid runner and it will just drop in. Set the 144 aside for restoration. And as stated get a later 200 for the DSII option.

turbo, turbo, turbo !
:eek:

(a lill VeeDub 1).

I don't remember what the time frames were, but car makers at various times used gross horsepower, net horsepower, gross horsepower with no accessories, net horsepower with and without accessories, etc. etc. (accessories being water pumps, generators, alternators, and so on).

There was also a fair amount of what my boss refers to as "Specsmanship" whereby certain items got "adjusted" on the typewriter.

The main thing to remember is do NOT take car makers specifications too seriously, especially the old stuff.

One change that was made 1960 to 1962 144's used a solid lifter camshaft and the 1963 & 1964 144's used a hydrolic lifter cam. Also the early engines also used the 1904 Holley carbs were the later models used the Autolite carbs. You could gain that missing 5 H.P. and much more by updateing the ignition system and carb, installing a free flowing exhaust system, a more modern camshaft grind, larger valves with 3 angle valve job and back cutting the valves, pocket porting the valve bowls, a little more compression, etc. Good luck (y) :nod:

OK, OK, what HE said ^^^^^
Then, turbo!

chad":3645l9my said:
OK, OK, what HE said ^^^^^
Then, turbo!
If you want easy HP, do what chad said and send it. Just make sure to keep the pressure low, like 4-6psi. You said yours smokes a little, so that just means you'll have even more blowby. But you're gonna have to redo the rings at some point. You should be able to get away with a hone and new rings and slap her back together when the time comes.

Good luck.

Back