Update ideas for 1965 Mustang for this year

OK, so I have some upgrades I would like to make to my Mustang this year. The car is 200, C4, power steering and brakes, about 38,000 miles.

What I have done since I've owned it:
*transmission fluid and filter change
* New brakes front and rear
* New shocks and springs front and rear
* New OEM style radiator and new coolant
* New exhaust manifold
* regular oil changes with Lucas Hot Rod engine oil w/ZZDP
* Seafoam run through engine and fuel system yearly

So here is what I want to do, with some questions:
* New exhaust system--car sounds like a dump truck now. What I want is something quiet with just a hint of low rumble. Open to any ideas
* Dual master cylinder conversion. Do I just get a master for a 1968-later Mustang w/power steering, or something else?
* New 1100 carburetor. I can get a UREMCO reman through work, but there are versions listed for Holley and Autolite fuel systems. What does this mean, and how do you tell the difference?
* Either a Petronix unit for the existing Load-o-Matic, or switch to a 1967-later OE distributor. Reason I'm not considering a DUI or other large-cap distributor is that I don't want to change out the power steering pump mount, which I understand is required. If I switch dizzies, I know the carburetor will need to be modified
* If there are funds left, I am considering a Borgeson power steering box conversion to get rid of the ram assist. The current setup works OK, but I've heard nothing but good about the conversion in terms of steering feel.

Lots of questions--all guidance welcome!

Welcome aboard. Always to have fellow Mustang owners aboard.
If you want to do a better upgrade over the Pertronix, the DS1 distributor series uses a small cap version compared to the larger cap DS11.
Both use the same housing but the cap is smaller on the DS1.
Take a look at one for a 75 Maverick & you will see the smaller cap, but the better housing which has centrifugal & vacuum advance. Bill

Very nice car to have the 65 Mustang, I would like one myself.
You may want to pick up a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook, it details lots of performance modifications like a carb swap for your 200. It will help get a plan together for the items you are considering with the exception of the Borgeson which is the path I will be on with my Bronco.

Yes, the real thing is asking "What do I wish to achieve 1st'n foremost?" "What am I dissatisfied w/currently?"(2 very different Qs but still a beginning). "What is the final application I wish for this vehicle?" (not even "it's full/max potential"). Once U answ THAT Q, U may find the other answ come more automatically. As a 'system' changing 1 thing on an auto effects the others, so do them in conjunction.

For any minor upgrade (even wishing to maintain moderate fidelity to era correct items) I myself would change over to the DSII system (no LOM/SCV feedback system) dizzy & upgrade the carb
The dual MC I'd look for one that fit the fire wall bolt holes (2) & has equal size reservours (unless going disc up frnt which I'd do as well). I used a Mark XIIIIII of some kind as it has the disc/drum application'n correct bolt holes for my bronk.

For powersteer & the other concerns - U can have the PS mounted to the driver's side'n avoid some of those troubles (& create new 1s of course). Again - what will B 80% of the vehicle's driving conditions? May B this rig deserves a modern cam upgrade? A 2v Autolite (2100)? I'd skip the DUI dizzy, tho.

W E L C O ME !!! to the forum (best on our site)
hope U stick around'n enjoy ur stay!

then U saw my cite & or link for Matt'n VI, the Handbook'n all things i6 (this site's link).

Usta B that site would eat ya up (big egos, big put downs) if U showed up w/an i6.
Now the prices R where they R more 170s R shown up, less (aint had any recently) BS
thrown atcha. Still alot of misinfo tho, guys jump into a thread (off topic) it seems just to
'spout off abt what they know (& still its way off).
Certainly has improved tho. I don't stay away like I did.

So whadaya think Ohio? Is the stang a show car? mall crawler? 2 lane black top'n twistys cruzer? track rat?
Mine's been a near 40 yr woods work truck'n sno plow retiring to a 20something female as DD (90%) & off rd toy (10%).

There's plenty of ideas here, just zero it in a lill. Bet you'll get plenty...
How bout budget? Thasss a nother that'll "help us help U."

Hi, I would check out the Mustang vendors for a Master cylinder conversion. There are kits available with the required lines. Good luck

don't vendors add costs beyond NAPA, rock auto, etc?
Oh, may B ur sayin summit or similar?.
I usually think of "all the typical vendors" i.e. "Mustangs Unlimited", Dennis Carpenter, CJPoney, etc w/that wrd...
I go big box every X I can (cost/quality/value). By relying on U guys to tell me Y/M/M (motor occasionally) I can do this.
(y)

Hi, Chad, you have a point. The thing is, the stores you mention don't have a dual bowl master cylinder for a pre 67 Ford. Ford didn't have one. All the younger counter guys I find only want to know year and make. So unless a guy is sure the mounting, push rod length, side of the line outlets, and other details are all good, and feels like making brake lines, you may be better off just knowing the thing will work by getting a kit. Good luck

"...* Dual master cylinder conversion. Do I just get a master for a 1968-later Mustang w/power steering, or something else?..."

lill help here - what Y/M/M will wrk for this application? (I report above my experience lincoly Mark something - 1st yr for ford discs? lets say '78). Is an AutoZone or whatever's close to U? Mine came right offa da shelf 30 - 50 bucks IIRC (10 yrs ago?).

'S OK I think the OP left anyway, haven't seenem around since the 1st post...

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. Knew I came to the right place.

Some asked my budget. I have about $2000 to spend this year. The Falcon book and a service manual are at the top at the list.

First upgrade is the exhaust. Can't stand the sound of the cobbled together system (old pipe, replacement OE style muffler).

Second is the dual master conversion. Then the carburetor and distributor. I still need to figure out what the difference is between a Holley and an Autolite fuel system to choose the proper carburetor. Any insight or is the carb reman guy nuts?

The Borgeson steering conversion will probably not happen this year, but one never knows.

The Mustang is a backroads cruiser. I would like to drive it more often this year and these upgrades will make that more enjoyable.

If it was my Mustang I would probably go with the Autolite 1101 conversion which is one of the options in the Falcon Handbook. There is some work to fit it and all these carbs are old but if you can get it sorted out it is more cfm. That along with a properly curved DSII/ignition system and 2" exhaust with a performance muffler should make an improvement for you.

I think that before you spend any money, you should write down your goals.

As an example, here are my goals for my 67 coupe 200/C4:

Maintain an oem-period correct appearance. (no headers, aftermarket wheels ect) Although Im wavering on headers
Use oem or correct reproductions when possible.
Replace the 200 with 250, most casual observers will never know the difference.
Improve performance, cam, CR, carb, ignition.
Convert to 5 lug using oem parts.
Add AC and PS. Vintage Air and either factory, Borgeson or EAPS - havent decided yet.
Complete rewire, one piece at a time.
Lots of small weekend mods:

then prioritise by sequence of opertions (w/a system like an auto 1 prt effects all others)
But 1st go for safety items, then 'runs good' items.
BTW: many of us use the "Handbook" as it lays all this out...
That and the above 'tech archive' @ the crossed screwdriver/wrench).

This way U integrate "this yr" w/the whole project long term...

OK, first order of business is the exhaust system. I want a quiet one. Will a good stock replacement with perhaps a resonator be the way to go, or a straight exhaust with a good turbo muffler? I see all sorts of suggestions for exhaust, but not one for a quiet one.

unfortunately this is a very imprecise area of dialogue.
Most have pretty personal views of what is a "good" or a quiet, or any-thing-else kinda exhaust note.
So 'performance' is a lill more precise & can B measured, quantified, etc.

Taste - hair cut, liv rm furniture or anything else along those lines (exhaust sound) is tough. Listen to a vid? no, I don't think that's very accurate. Describe the sound of a rig U just heard go by? well, that's a tough one 2. (esp if it's a 4 or 8 cyl'n U got a 6).

Anyway, yes, a stock system w/resonator is going to B quieter than a single turbo (actually the turbo's good for performance - MPGs'n pep). Some of my quietest have had that 'dual' set-up (resonator plus). I can say I find a lot of advantages to a super quiet system. A few have been in the shop recently w/this set up. Were they SUVs, SUTs? Yes, I think so...

Symth, Avinrod (spelling?) & Borla have a better name around here than cherry bomb & flow master...but again sound is subjective & each co has models constructed from different deigns (3 or 4 standard) so different sounds'n performance.

Back