Autolite 1100 Venturi Mod

Ordered a kit, a couple diaphragm springs, and an assortment of main jets from Mikes Carburetor Parts. Hopefully will arrive this coming week. Does anyone have a recommendation for a carburetor dip that they use? Kerosene? Mineral spirits? Normally I just hit all the passages with carburetor cleaner but I think this carb will do good to soak a couple days since its sat and had some buildup of corrosion in a few passages.

Advance has a 1 gallon of carb cleaner, where you lower the parts into the basket & leave them sit. Its best to agitate them for a more through cleaning.
Do not put your new venturi into the canister to be on the safe side.
Then wash with water.

Bill beat me to it. Berrymans carb dip in the gallon is hard to beat outside of using an ultrasonic cleaner. The only downside is $20-25 a gallon. It works very well.

DIY block fix, 30 min with a sharp adjustable hand reamer and a bore gauge. Less than $100 at MaMaster. Done! Use whatever carb and dizzy you want.

A little update: first try with the Venturi mod did not go well. I got the carb really clean and rebuilt. Installed on car and it idled wonderfully. When accelerated slowly in park the engine would struggle. Slam on the gas and the accelerator pump would get the engine going nicely. I tried re-jetting from .062 to .066 with very minor improvement. I originally was shooting for a Venturi size of 1.25 instead of the stock 1.10. My end result was around 1.375" or 1-3/8. I believe this had an affect on the air speed as we previously discussed. I re-installed the factory Venturi to make sure everything was good with the carburetor and left it jetted at .066, it ran quite well and functioned ain't should. I am going to try my hand at one more Venturi around 1.2-1.25. On a side note this carburetor has done away with the last bit of stumble/ hesitation off the line I've been having. I put a kit in the old carb but went a couple steps further with this one replacing both the Accel pump spring and the dashpot spring and cleaning out the power valve cavity on top of the carburetor. I have gotten quite good at disassembling the carburetor while on the car in order to re-jet.....

You should have tried a .069" jet. The larger venturi flow more air & the signal is weaker. Maybe jets into the low .70",s would work.

wsa111":2hhrtifu said:
You should have tried a .069" jet. The larger venturi flow more air & the signal is weaker. Maybe jets into the low .70",s would work.

I didn't order any that size when I ordered the kit. I could probably drill one of the jets out instead of ordering more. I did think about even larger jets but at $5.25 each they start to add up. They jump from .069-.074-.078 on Mikes Carbs site. I still might try this out, I haven't scrapped the first Venturi I made yet.

Back