144 double groove pulley?

falcon_master

Hey everyone hope all is well. I am currently looking at putting AC into my bird and was thinking about getting a basic universal kit. I work at an AC appliance shop so I have the knowledge and tools to put it together. That is at least until I started looking at compressor brackets and pulleys. Looking online the only dual groove pulleys I can find are listed for a 170/200 engine not a 144. Is the crank snout the same size so that a 170 dual groove will work on my crank. Thanks everyone. Honestly it’ll be funny to see my 144 try to power an AC unit probably slow me down quite a bit :LOL:
Right now I’m also looking into affordable 200 blocks. My summer plan is to my 144 and maybe hop it up alitlle. I just feel so guilty ripping it out I feel like an engine is kinda like the heart of the car that it was made with (I know I’m weird). But I think nice I find just how much a turd it is I’ll rip it out. Thanks everyone
Jarod

falcon_master said:
...I...feel...guilty ripping it out I feel like an engine is kinda like the heart of the car that it was made with (I know I’m weird)...Thanks everyone
My buddy hada bent8 OEM back in the day (?Sprint model?).
Build what U want/need. Save prts asside for future return…
Find what yrs hada 200 w/AC, locate the Y/M/M in my chart of pulleys
(earlier post) or ona stang site, get prt#s, source pulleys…
Step-by-step but not easy, esp the last in the sequence - U may
hafta find the ID#s stamped-on-the-prt as corresponding to actual prt#s
to source in junk yrds (often they were different).

falcon_master,
As soon as I can send this 19* weather back to chad where it belongs,I'll get out in my collasped shed and see what I can get to you.
I know I have a bolt on AC(?) pulley as well as a lot of expeiriments in small heads I tinkered with before I found CI and the bros.S' book.
I think helping kids out on the learning curve somehow earns me Karma points,so bear with me.
I got one head in particular I think you need to play with,I hogged out the carb hole to 1.75",built an adapter to a RBS or something(can't remember),then popped the plugs and opened the log to runner opening with an extension and a stone.IIRC, I shaved it.060 also.
I stopped there because someone gave me a 200 to play with.And I had not discovered SI valves yet.
That is,unless you would want the small head i chopped the log off of...Either way,you got to work that 1/4" drive SCV DIST.
You pay shipping and I'll let you have 'em.Oh,and since I got some leftovers,I'll go ahead and stick some viton on the valves for you.trying to get shed cleared out.
Not there yet,but I'm working on bracket that fits an alt. and Sanden AC compressor and clears headers.trying to make one for all 144 to 250 engines,but they changed the block bosses a lot so I'm still working the problem,If you use the Sanden AC compressor,it will only rob 3-5 h.p.If you use the York style,they steal 10-15 of your horsies.So,I figure if you use an electric fan,you can get those 3-5 h.p. back.
'll end this now 'cause Im COLD,and this desert lizarad can't type right.
Meh, get a shopping list together...

theres an offer, Jerod…(he just sent me some prts).
Get something goin back channel'n C if it fits the bill?

:nod:

Water pump length varies with two types,
crank pulleies are basically the same but the offset of about 3/16" exsits on some.

144-200, the crank snouts (1.248" diameter) are all the same.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... ulley.html

betterpulleyW.jpg

aahoseroute.jpg

http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19664&p=548690#p548690

pikesan":3i3pkqr4 said:
This is a pretty old post, but very pertinent to me!
I'm putting air conditioning on my 200 six. It's a must in AZ, especially if you want to drive it like I plan to.

I'm pretty sure the A/C and alternator bracket I have is like this one: http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/Six_Cylinder_Ford.html

Here's a picture
316R.jpg

Maybe this will help someone?

I was about to re-align the bracket to align both grooves in the AC with the waterpump and crank pulley. Then I saw that picture. Does that look OK to you guys? (I don't have power steering) but I do have a Classic Inlines stainless header. I think someone slightly modified the alternator mounting to clear the header.

Feel free to follow along! http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/tag/63-ford-falcon-project/
Thanks!
pikesan

Here's what it looks like in my build. Made some stand-offs to move the alternator away from the header. Came out pretty good! The longer belt needs to be about 1/2" shorter, but other than that, it's time to clean and paint.

ac-alt-setup.jpg

It looks like the alternator is still sitting on the header. It's just the angle. There's 4" between them.

https://fordsix.com//viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72672
The later model Dual or Triple pulley water pumps for Fox 3.3's ran the same length water pump as the XW-XF, 4-1/2" (or 114 mm), and the US 250. .

pumphieght.jpg

This ^ is rickwrench's website photo of the later Fox water pump on the left, verses the earlier Round body 144/170/200 water pump (same as Aussie XK/XL/XM/XP/XR)

All the early Us 60-pre US 250 and XK-XR stuff was 4"(101.6 mm). The Aussies then did add some 5/16" (8mm) relief work with the tall deck 188/200/221/250 engines. The early balancer scrapes the sump, practically, and when its upsized to 6-7/8", it was too close to the cork gasket at the front part of the sump. RTV has fixed all that.

The US 250 lead the way to the 4-1/2" long water pump, and to make it easier to swap all the ancillarry drives, the small deck US 200 then got equiped with a 4-1/2" pump, a different kind, but 4-1/2" none the less.

earlydamper.jpg

This ^ is rickwrench's website photo.
The early stuff on the US 1960 to pre US 250 engines used the common approx 6" balancer as was used on the XK-XR, it is all set back, right hard against the engine blocks sump.

latedamper.jpg

This ^ is rickwrench's website photo.

The Fox three grove used the same size balancer, in the same postion, but with a triple pulley system, and it was set right back 5/16" (8mm), with the sump relieved to avoid it rubbing the balancer.

There were therefore 5-3/4 and then 6-1/4" small six versions.

Howdy Jerod and All:

The stock three bolt pulleys for all small sixes from '63 to '77 measure 5 7/8" across. IDK if the pre-'63 144s are the same. All will be short snout water pumps so alignment should not be a problem. Several of those years were outfitted with AC, so if pre-'63 pulleys are the same you should be able to find a stock one. Good luck.

Adios, David

solved yet?

Back