65 Fairlane, 200 cu. in. Inline 6 rebuild.

About to start my first engine rebuild. Does anyone have recommendations for rebuild kits or what gaskets should be replaced? The amount of “sets” posted online are overwhelming.

"1st stop" is often a compression test. This may tell just exactly what is "a rebuild".
'2nd' can B an evaluation of how the last several thousand mi or few yrs of driving (B4 the 'troubles' B gan) the vehicle were. What is sought out of the vehicle - it's faults'n good points. This is all due to the extensive wrk to rebuild, if motor is pulled mights well go over it well while out rather than put in just to pull again... Also if seeking "a lill more' or "alot more" a plan is needed to achieve 1 or the other.
So 3rd, this plan is kinda what you've presented us or at least the place U might B now. If the earlier parts (Q abt 'application' intended 4 this motor) are well done the answ almost falls out of that wrk.
BTW - several resources for this - most of us use the "Ford 6 Performance Handbook" (`$20 at a place that has prts needed retail - vintage inlines dot com). While ur doing more thinkin & research, waitin for delivery of Handbook U can peruse a 3rd resource @ above big blue box w/crossed screwdriver/wrench. Scroll dwn to General Info then onto "Mild Street Motor" if thats a build back to stock (not my recommendation. Modern times require modern engines. A very few, sm, inexpensive mods go a long way w/these hearty motors. They never get modern MPGs but can keep up w/todays traffic and be safer'n more performance oriented than 1965 easily). A modern cam, '77 + head, carb and ignition is all that's needed. That 200 can then push that lill heaver FLaine around way better. Just love the grill'n stacked hdlghts of the '66!

W E L C O M E !!!
to the best forum on the site!
Enjoy yer stay.

Hi, I used the complete gasket set from Vintage Inline.
How deep are you going with the engine?
Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook
To get the most out of your Ford six.
Good luck

What kind of performance mods have you considered? If any.
I really like the 65 Fairlane, classic styling.

Not sure on how deep to go. Really don’t know much about car engines. I’m just looking to have a Sunday cruiser. I drove the car 15 miles, but it stalled whenever I hit the gas pedal hard. Figured a gasket set wouldn’t hurt it.

Putting a gasket set in it is going pretty deep other than stopping a leak. It will lead to a valve job w/ a surfacing cut and new bearings, wtr pump, oil pump etc. While you're in there... And you won't be driving your car. Like Chad said, do a compression test or have one done and see what you've got. You're looking for something above 120# and most importantly all the cylinders within 10% of one another. If it looks like one or more is way off, you do a leak down test to find if the problem is in the rings or in the head. Those tests are easy to do and your local parts supply place will loan you the tools to do a compression test. It sounds like you might just have a carb/fuel or ignition problem.

B4 disassembly - whaja got for tools?
How much of this is a DIY (alone or w/experienced friends) - or - how much will U farm out?
Do U seek a local machinist referral? Do U know how to decide abt total rebuild versus just these gaskets U seek?
Have no fear, we can assist at most (well - all) levels (C post 6 above)...

May B start w/a "problem deffiniton"
(sights, sounds, smells, vehicle movement)

Howdy Mike:

And welcome to The Forum. Without more specific infomation about your engine- number of miles, maintenance and symptoms it is impossible to give you good advice. The suggested compression test is always good information to have.

"I drove the car 15 miles, but it stalled whenever I hit the gas pedal hard."
This symptom is a strong indication that your carb needs to be rebuilt. A weak accelerator pump is the usual cause of this symptom. A rebuild kit for a 1965 Autolite 1100 runs about $25. My advice to you is to get the carb rebuilt and tuned, get your ignition up to specs and then assess the internal condition of your engine. IIWIYS, that is where I'd start.

Again, Welcome to The Forum.

Adios, David

By the way there is a valuable resource for the Ford six owner known as the Falcon Performance Handbook. It provides information on maintenance, tuning and performance mods just for us. It will get you up to speed quickly on the Ford six and is worth way more than it cost.

It has 65,000 miles on it, and hasn’t been registered since the 90’s. I’m not sure what maintenance or what has been done, if anything, to the car.

I looked for local mechanics, but couldn’t find anyone that specializes in 200’s. I’m in southeast Michigan, and would much rather a seasoned veteran look it over.

Howdy Back Mike:

Good information. Having sat that long is probably a good indication that it is somewhat gummed up inside. A good top lube oil additive in the oil and a good high detergent oil may help to loosen the rings and lifters up, along with some driving miles. But, start with a carb rebuild and get the ignition in shape.

If it only has 65,000 miles it may be salvageable without a major rebuild. My fingers are crossed for you. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

we have a 'member' in SE Mich. called Frenchtown Flyer. He can assist or forward names of mechanics in that area of the state. Can U follow up with a "PM" to him? He will assist as many of us can/will If U R able to follow up ur self by finding his PM (personal mail bx here on the site) or click on:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=141

then on his "PM" button. It will open a screen to send a msg "Can U recommend an i6 mechanic near me in xxx town."

Identify the carb first. Post a photo here if you need help identifying it. Then take the air cleaner off and open the throttle quickly while engine is running. Tell us if you see a stream of gas shooting into the throat of the carb when you do. Chances are you can fix that stalling problem for $20.

-Roland

63falcon4drwagon":2pka6upo said:
"Pretend" that you are broke and can't afford a rebuild then pinpoint the problem and fix it.
Just lucky @ my house. No pretendin needed :shock:
:LOL:
:nono:

Back