Air fuel ratio testing fun

StarDiero75":24l2zaxm said:
Alright guys, drum roll please... The compression results after doing it properly:

Fuel line disconnected and car ran till out of gas, all plugs taken out, throttle held completely open, choke held open, and is up to temp.

Results:
#1=196 psi
#2=205 psi
#3=205 psi
#4=208 psi
#5=205 psi
#6=199 psi

I think these are pretty good. What do you all think?

Summit it having me call AEM to calibrate the gauge btw. I'll report back on that when that is done
Ryan with cranking compression that high you need 93 octane fuel & a very conservative distributor advance curve.
Since in your area only 91 is the best you can get.
Why is your cranking compression is that high??? Whats inside your engine??? Your cranking compression is too high for a daily driver.
Whats inside your engine, pistons, CC's in combustion chamber & so on.

wsa111":233uiwbi said:
StarDiero75":233uiwbi said:
Alright guys, drum roll please... The compression results after doing it properly:

Fuel line disconnected and car ran till out of gas, all plugs taken out, throttle held completely open, choke held open, and is up to temp.

Results:
#1=196 psi
#2=205 psi
#3=205 psi
#4=208 psi
#5=205 psi
#6=199 psi

Summit it having me call AEM to calibrate the gauge btw. I'll report back on that when that is done
Ryan with cranking compression that high you need 93 octane fuel & a very conservative distributor advance curve.
Why is your cranking compression is that high??? Whats inside your engine??? Your cranking compression is too high for a daily driver.
I get 92 octane at Costco, i just started and will continue that.

I have absolutely no idea. This engine sat for years at a restoration/custom shop where they pulled it from a 66 or 67 mustang. The guy who bought the car didn't want the drivetrain so it sat. Then i came along after a phone call was made from a friend to a friend for a needed 200.

Internals are unknown. I've been driving since July. The only things I've done are swap in my dizzy, carb, and oil pump from my 65 200.

How low should i put my timing? Currently its 12, shoult i go back to 10?

This is also a good thing I'm putting on the 2100, it'll like the extra gas.

Maybe i wont have to mill my 1980 head that much to fix this. I'll CC the old head once its out and compare to how much the 1980 one has been cut.

Is there a way to check compression ratio by the pressure its putting out or is that only by measuring?

Thanks,
Ryan

glad ur gunna cc the head. This gives real figures for real world use.
the CR they speak of here (dynamic, static) is abt ur math formulas, not that lill gague U have.
Octane-to-use, 80% of the in-use-RPMs, cam...these R the nxt choices B4 machining/ordering, etc
Go slo, stick wid us, we'll get U there...

wsa111":1ir0kaim said:
StarDiero75":1ir0kaim said:

Results:
#1=196 psi
#2=205 psi
#3=205 psi
#4=208 psi
#5=205 psi
#6=199 psi

Hey so I'm getting a little blistering on my plugs, currently i have Autolite 46s on, i have some 45s I'm thinking of putting on. Now knowing the compression and gas I'm running, would you go colder than 45 or should 45 be fine?

Try the 45's
Did you get plain jane plugs, or single or double platinium??

So guys, i finally got the 2100 on the car and WOW! This thing has power from the get go, and it's still not completely tuned. I got a small vacuum leak from what looks like the power valve cover gasket. When i spray starter fluid right in that area it starts spasing out. Plus i can hear it suck. I'll look at replacing that and get back to you all.

Currently its at about 13ish at idle which is slightly better than the Weber, but i also have it running rich to counter the vacuum leak. We'll see how it is after i fix that gasket

oneada better carbs fo shoah

drag-200stang":27jfei2f said:
How did you mount it?
Sorry if I missed it.
I'm using the VI holley/autolite to small log adapter with a lokar cable. I'll take pics tomorrow when it's light out. It looks good there. But currently i have my air cleaner top mounted upside down so the threaded rod that comes out of the carb for it reaches it since its too short.

Do someone sell a longer air cleaner rod that comes out of the carb?

I'm on the run somight not get spelling right...I find stuff like that at
Spectra
gret specalization , great on-line catelogue.
Not sure bout Summit, ck'em out too.

EDIT:
Back now w/spellig ck: Spectre Performance

Go to the hardware store and buy a piece of threaded rod long enough. They sell short pieces in the nuts and bolts bins area.

Econoline":18uhsbgw said:
Go to the hardware store and buy a piece of threaded rod long enough. They sell short pieces in the nuts and bolts bins area.
MAPA actually had the exact piece i was looking for by the air cleaners. I got that all situated and got the choke hooked up now

Back