Moly vs. Plasma-Moly Rings

Matthew68

Is there a difference? Are they the same thing? I’ve not found any information that they are different so I’m just guessing that the plasma is usually left off.

Someone school me, please.

Cheers,
Matthew

Engines being built for serious competition will be far better off using Plasma Moly ring sets. These feature an extremely durable ductile iron top ring with Plasma Moly facing. This design allows the ring to seat quickly and to maintain its sealing integrity under the severe stress of racing. The second ring is a special low tension plain iron design. These taper faced rings are specifically designed to break in quickly and to keep oil from migrating into the combustion chamber. The SS50U stainless steel oil control rings are the absolute best in the high performance industry. This ring combustion gives dependable sealing and allows maximum power production.
Copied from the Chevelle forum.

I looked into this when I was building my engine and from what I remember finding in my research is that they are the same. All "moly" rings have the moly applied in the same way, plasma spray. I wish I had a reference for you but it's simply been to long now. One thing to be sure of with any moly ring is that the machinist knows b/c moly rings require a finer finish than plain cast rings. And the cost difference is so negligible that it really makes no sense not to go with moly rings.

Less friction with the moly rings & slick cylinder wals.

One more thing---early molly rings had a.010 deep groove filled with molly material.

Modern ones are plasma sprayed on , which is good I guess; modern technology.

Matthew68":t6xw2v76 said:
Thanks, guys. So - what I’m getting out of this is essentially they are the same thing.

Thanks
It simply is describing the method the moly was applied to the ring.

Back