engine tapping noise

rudyjoe

I just installed a used complete 200 engine i picked up for $500. No real info given on it other than it runs. I just wanted to drop it in first to see what i have. easy enough. After doing all the ness. prep before wiring it all up i hot wired it to start before i went any farther. I started it up and ran quiet at first then it started to tap and after 3-4min. then it stopped tapping. When it started to get hot it would start ticking again. Probably cause i didn't have the elect. fan hooked up yet so i turned off the engine and waited for it to cool down then briefly started it again and it was quiet for now. I did this a few days just to run a few min. to check and it was quiet each time. When i started the engine days later it began to tap/ticking lifters at first till after 2 min. of warm up then it slowly began to quiet down and go away. I did this a couple times with same results. The oil is new but a little over the full mark. Now I'm not sure and can speculate but rather hear any thoughts from you guys and take it from there. Maybe a bad oil pump or a loose lifter? - anyway thanks guys!

Hows the oil pressure? Tapping when cold i think is normal, then as it warms up it should stop. Does it have adjustable rockers? Have you set the preload? Loose adustments there will make a tap more evident.

I need to look into that next then. i'm new to all this so i am taking baby steps. now you gave me something to think about. We shall see. I was also thinking a loose lifter but i'm gonna pull the valve cover off and check it out. what is the preload suppose to be? A oil psi gauge will tell me something too. and also what is the psi i'm looking for and where is a good place to tap into located?
i know its a no brainer but at the moment the brain is ready for sleep at 1:20am. thanks

W E L C O M E !!!
to the site and our forum,
the best on ford6!

Many of us use a very good resource The Ford...Six...Performance Handbook. Our bud Matt at vintage inline dot com has it for abt $20. While waiting for delivery U may wanna nother good resource I mention to many new here - the above tech archive (4th big blue bx w/the crossed screwdriver/wrench). Using both allowed me to get enuff base understanding to really utilize the help available here from some of the top experts on this lill families of engines (144, 170, 200, 250 & the 2 'big six 240, 300). These 3 resources & some tools R all U need to get the lill 3.3 in tip top shape (&/or mod into a more modern p/u truck motor). I C ur avatar...

BTW: have U seen:
http://www.fordeconolinepickup.com/1961 ... eights-nj/
/OR/
http://www.vintage-vans.com

rudyjoe":3lquktn4 said:
I need to look into that next then. i'm new to all this so i am taking baby steps. now you gave me something to think about. We shall see. I was also thinking a loose lifter but i'm gonna pull the valve cover off and check it out. what is the preload suppose to be? A oil psi gauge will tell me something too. and also what is the psi i'm looking for and where is a good place to tap into located?
i know its a no brainer but at the moment the brain is ready for sleep at 1:20am. thanks
Always think the cheapest and easiest stuff first. If its a bad lifter you have to take the head off to replace that, so don't worry about it yet.

To hook up an oil pressure gauge, there should be a valve that comes off the side of the block, on the drivers side near the back. There should be an idiot light oil sensor there, you can add a T fitting to it so you can add a line for an oil pressure gauge. Cold pressure should be about 55psi and hot should be around 30psi depending on what your idle is.

Look up how to adjust hydraulic lifters with adjustable rockers. There should be a info sheet on that on this site or the original classic inlines site.

"...original classic inlines site..."
tech archive above (again)
all engine specs there 2.

Hi, I wouldn't worry about a little ticking noise now. I would finish it up and get some driving time.
Now is the time to get the engine install over and work on the tune up.
If there was a problem with the oil filter it would be leaking all over the floor.
If the ticking noise gets worse later on, then it may be something.
Good luck

Is the engine in the truck now? If so I'd pull the valve cover and get an eye on the rocker situation(adjustable/loose?) and see if there is any or alot of sludge/carbon in there, that will tell you something to. What weight oil are you running? It would be good to know the oil pressure with this engine being unknown to you. If the rocker(s) are complaining for more than a second or two that would be worrisome to me as well. With the right oil weight and a good filter with anti drain back, they really shouldn't make any noise at start up with a hydraulic lifter engine. It could be alot of things; sticky valve, bad lifter, poor rocker adjustment (if possible), weak oil pump, worn out engine/low pressure, blockage/sludge at the oil pick up screen, too thick of oil, too thin of oil with worn out bearings or pump, bad oil filter and/or bypass, etc.

You guys are awesome! I have lots to work with as i can see but i will take it a step at a time. I will see what i find but it will all work out soon enough either way. Thanks to you all for the advice and insight. I'll let you know what i find. - rudyjoe from l.a.

Yes, "... i will take it a step at a time..."
but in priority acourse.
U sound like u got some experience - utilize ur resources too (here, tech archive'n the Handbook if needed).

thanks Chad. My knowledge is somewhat ok but learning as i go and always eager to learn from others with more experience and insight where i might be lacking at times for sure, Its all very appreciated! by trade i'm a major appliance repairman so thats my background and mindset but as for engines, its very limited other than some basics and lots of common sense!

neat thing abt that employ is its w/"systems" as well. U got it goin on!
I'm tryin to switch/apply frm 'human' systems to mechanical. Bigger stretch !
:nod: :arg:

Yup, you are right about that! I'll be working on the brake system in the next few days when i have the time. Changing out everything! There are those small challenges and then bigger ones. Its what makes it all worthwhile when its hands on as you know. Take care buddy and have a nice Easter. I'll be posting when i'm done with these fun projects.

"...working on the brake system in the next few..."
good luck w/that MC, buddy? that thing is weird !
:shock:
:LOL:

Gone! Turns out it just needed to run a few more times to get things working again after sitting for a long time. BUT i also have to say that i found a big dent on the oil pan that still needs to be taken care of. I have another pan but i'll try to pull the dent out first before getting into pulling it off. Anyway brakes and system are completely replaced and done. That was fun....kinda :rolflmao:
Thanks again Guys!

Back