68 Mustang Holley 2300 Air Cleaner

Hello all! I am new to the forum and the straight six world. I am currently working on my mother in laws 68 Mustang 200 Straight Six Automatic. We decided to replace the original single barrel carb and a few other components under the hood in hopes to smooth things out and add to the overall reliability of the vehicle. The engine runs great and purrs like a kitten now with the new carb, but I am at a loss for an air cleaner solution. The new carb/spacer raises the unit quite high and there is very little clearance for an air cleaner now. Has any one else ran into this issue? Are there any air cleaners that you would recommend being low profile for the hood to clear? Or has anyone tried a cap style into a satellite filter? I am just trying to figure a good way to go about this. Thank you for any and all help! I look forward to working with everyone and giving/leaving feedback! :thanks:

- Tyler

1968 Ford Mustang 200 Straight Six Auto. Holley 2300 2 Barrel electric choke with spacer on original manifold.

Tyler, welcome aboard.
I assume your carburetor choice is the 350 Holley 2bbl.
Matt @ Vintage Inlines may have an air cleaner for your installation.
I have a 67 200 with a 4412-500 Holley on my engine. However it is a direct mount installation.
I use a 14" air cleaner with a drop base & have plenty of hood clearance.
Maybe another member from the forum has the same deal as yours & help you out.
DSC_0946_zpssp60zwxs.jpg

Good luck Bill

Matt's great, caters to these engines.

W E L C O M E !!! to the site'n forum !

https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... at-style-2

may B what U mean "...cap style..." (we all use different lingo for the same thing or visa versa, lol).

Some use a 'drop base' a/c housing (250 Maverick).
Shave dwn the housing, use a thiner filter?
My bronk has a body lift & yes, some suspension lifts also assist (that's w/a tall deck 250).
There's 6 or 7 work-a-round strategies.
"...ran into this issue?..."
Welcome to the ford 60s/70s issues.

I say direct mount a 2v !

Maximmum clearance OEM style AC's I've used are Maverick 6 Cyl air cleaners. The lower hoods of later cars needed virtually inverted air cleaners.

Cut and hammered flat Maverick '71 170/YFA carb air cleaner to fit a 2Bbl 5200 series carb :

Same carb with $15 air cleaner with bottom plate flipped ('63 170) :

have fun

Quick replies! Thanks for the ideas so far! I will so some measuring and look into some of these options. Originally I was going to modify the stock cleaner but it became apparent quickly that was not going to work... Thanks again for the support!

- Tyler

1968 Ford Mustang 200 Straight Six Auto. Holley 2300 2 Barrel electric choke with spacer on original manifold.

Hi, I use an Edelbrock air cleaner on the Holley 350 on my 66 Bronco.
Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_20181021_105530149_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181021_105530149_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20181021_105957450_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181021_105957450_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
w/2 inch drop base'n 2 inch filter U can get it on!
Only 4, 5 more "low hood " work-a-rounds left to name...

Back